When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

IWC Portuguese Chronograph Automatic (3714) Genuine v Replica Parts

Adz

For a long time I've been searching for a good comparison of genuine v replica parts without much success so I decided to take some pictures of my own parts so others wondering the same can see in detail.

To begin with, I'd have to say that the IWC 3714 replica is very good. Sure it has movement problems but nothing that can't be fixed with a genuine movement. In order to fit a genuine movement the case must be milled slightly.

When it comes to colour choice, the black face/black subdial and black face/white subdial (panda) certianly have the advantage as the black colour is a lot easier to replicate. The 3714-14 (Silver face, blue numerals) is the least accurate I believe. In saying that, it's still quite good but side by side the difference is easy to spot. The rep has a sparkly silver flake though it where as the genuine item is a basic flat silver.

IMG_4130.jpg

IMG_4131.jpg

The biggest flaws with the 3714 replica in my opinion are the subdials - the texture of the grooves is too defined, and the numbers on the main dial - they are not smooth on the edges like the genuine and looking closely they are clearly stuck on and not finished as cleanly with colour as the genuine.

IMG_4125.jpg

IMG_4138.jpg

Other minor flaws (and now I'm being very particular) are the print on the tachometer ring - it is not as crisp as the gen. The replica tachometer ring also meets the dial flush. The genuine ring does not, it's has a step/facet of about 1mm. The other minor flaw is the printed "IWC Schaffhausen" and "Chronograph Automatic" text is slightly different on the rep. One thing to note is that the genuine tachometer ring requires slight modification in order to fit the rep case.

IMG_4117.jpg

IMG_4144.jpg

One thing that is near perfect is the hands, I think they are as good as the genuine item though I noticed with mine that there are slight flaws with the finish and for this reason, I am using gen hands also.

IMG_4119.jpg

I haven't bothered with a replacement strap yet but the rep is horrible. It looks cheap and nasty and should be the first thing replaced on any 3714 rep.

The caseback also needs to be brushed in the centre to match the gen but this is also a very easy fix.

I'm replacing the replica old style fish crown with a genuine new style Probus Scafusia crown. Many people say that the replica crown is fine but the genuine crown is slightly different where it meets the case, it tapers slightly and the teeth are also slightly different and more defined on the gen. A 7750 winding stem and tube is required to fit the genuine crown.

IMG_4148.jpg

IMG_4152.jpg

Ultimately I'd love to source a genuine case with crystal and pushers etc but this doesn't seem possible like the 3717 so for now a good double AR on the rep crystal and a brushed caseback will have to do. If genuine cases become available in the future I'll go 100% gen.

I hope you find this post informative :)

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 years later...