When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Which IWC?

urbanshogun

Hey guys, I want to buy an IWC rep.

I was thinking either a 3717, Big Pilot, or an Ingy.

To be honest, they are all amazing designs. Maybe I should tell you about my other watches so we can see what is a good fit? I have a vintage omega deville (quartz- very very small and thin, with a lovely shiny bracelet, very dressy), a RG oris artellier(pretty small, and thin, brown croc strap), the pam 177h (on nato, maybe a dirk soon), Grey v3 Avenger Skyland(i have rubber and ss) and a Black/white 45mm UPO(on nato/rubber). So really I don't need a dressy, or another big sports watch I guess.

But the ingy is so beautiful! It's dressy but tooly at the same time. And recently i've taken to wearing watches on the inside of my wrist, so it would be perfect. But finding a good rep is difficult- did the gen have a display caseback? and i hear a new datewheel is needed? How bad is the rep dw? and the SS strap is a rarity now?

BP- Nothing really to say about this model, apart from it's fricking huge and i'd have to get the pr indicator moved to full and the lume is wrong. And I already have big watches in the skyland and the pam. I do love it though- the 5004 is so nice to look at. Really i'd have to buy a HKTAN real croc strap, so I can double the price of this rep for me. I really doubt I can wear this on my inner wrist.

3717- Great watch. With the steel strap it's the perfect balance between sports and fancy. Although is the lume correct? if was to get this i'd ideally have the day wheel switched to a german one. However, there are opportunities for frankens further down the road if I choose so. Not really sure if i want another chrono watch though.

So if you were to buy one of these IWC without the possibility to be buying another, which would it be?

I also have the dsn Tornek Rayville or Fifty Fathoms LIP model on the shortlist.

First thing I'd suggest is to start wearing your watches the right way :)

Regarding the BP, it's a beautiful watch. The power indicator should be moved up only if you hang around people who know about watches (or if you're a perfectionist). No way you could pull off wearing a BP if you'll be wearing it on the back of your wrist. And you need at least a 7" wrist to wear this watch so that it doesn't look comical (IMHO).

Yes, you'll have to get a custom strap for it.

3717: one of the best out of the box reps out there. You can wear it with confidence without doing any mods. The day/date wheel thing is just for us anal folks.

I met someone at a hotel who had a 3717 with a croc strap. I told him "nice watch!". He said thanks, and when he saw I was wearing the same watch he said "I really like the bracelet look, and I'm thinking of getting one. Do you mind if I take a look?". I said sure, took off my watch and handed it to him. He examined it and said he would be getting one as soon as he got home. Didn't notice anything about the day/date wheel, AR, etc.

What I'm trying to say is that even a 3717 owner won't notice that this watch is a rep. It's that well done.

The ingy is a beautiful watch, but I tried looking for a SS bracelet about 6 months ago and was told that they're no longer made, so good luck with that.

Edited by Gimme

First thing I'd suggest is to start wearing your watches the right way :)

Regarding the BP, it's a beautiful watch. The power indicator should be moved up only if you hang around people who know about watches (or if you're a perfectionist). No way you could pull off wearing a BP if you'll be wearing it on the back of your wrist. And you need at least a 7" wrist to wear this watch so that it doesn't look comical (IMHO).

Yes, you'll have to get a custom strap for it.

3717: one of the best out of the box reps out there. You can wear it with confidence without doing any mods. The day/date wheel thing is just for us anal folks.

I met someone at a hotel who had a 3717 with a croc strap. I told him "nice watch!". He said thanks, and when he saw I was wearing the same watch he said "I really like the bracelet look, and I'm thinking of getting one. Do you mind if I take a look?". I said sure, took off my watch and handed it to him. He examined it and said he would be getting one as soon as he got home. Didn't notice anything about the day/date wheel, AR, etc.

What I'm trying to say is that even a 3717 owner won't notice that this watch is a rep. It's that well done.

The ingy is a beautiful watch, but I tried looking for a SS bracelet about 6 months ago and was told that they're no longer made, so good luck with that.

Yeeeeah. I don't know about this at all. You have to be a brain damaged possum not to be able to tell an Asian datewheel from the correct IWC font, or a non modded rep from the real thing. For starters, there were two versions of the dial, do you know whether you have a V1 or V2? Each iteration has parts of it that are closer to the real thing than the other.

Two 3717 reps and one gen later, I can tell them from the color of AR coating at this point as well as the grade of brushing applied to the case.

Having had both the original product as well as the modded reps, I can say that the date wheel and AR make a huge difference. If you have 3717 rep, you owe it to yourself to have the date wheel done and crystal AR'd. It's such a standard combo that I believe that the AR guys all do the date swap.

That said, the bracelet IS very well replicated.