When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Submariner Semi-Sterile No Seconds

It's a temporary build, im trying to find a vintage dial (gen or rep) to go with my student budget :mrgreen:

This is what i'll be going for:

subf6.jpg

Picture borrowed of Altec from chinawatches.pl

The dial was sterilised with Acetone.

IMG_8745-1.jpg

IMG_8746-2.jpg

IMG_8747-3.jpg

IMG_8748-4.jpg

IMG_8749-5.jpg

IMG_8751-6.jpg

IMG_8752-7.jpg

Any advice on where to acquire a rep/gen dial like this?

Plus what do you think about the current mod?

Lemme know :)

Well, your first pic is a late model 5513 "Submariner first" dial. The later pics are a 16610 sub. If I understand what you are asking, you want to take a gen dial and sterilize it by removing the Rolex coronet and name? Why would you waste your money doing that?? You'll never find one pre-existing in that condition.

Just buy any newb sub - there is a dealer who has a fairly decent one for $48 (not a TD here, but is on another forum). Uncase the movement, set the hands to 6:30, pop off the second hand and carefully with the corner of a cape cod cloth polish off the rolex and coronet - I accidentally did that on a datejust dial in an attempt to remove a scratch on the dial - and put it back together.

Don't waste your money sourcing parts on something like this IMO.

You got me wrong, man (-;

The sterile mod is just for now, since the dial had a different logo on it.

What I was planning on doing was getting a 5513 dial and hands, changing the glass to plexi and leaving it at that - no sterilisation (-;

Btw. It's running a 21j Dixmont Guangzhou.

Edited by Janek Sarnowski

I used cotton buds soaked in acetone and a toothpick to remove smaller prints. The black paint is intact. However, i know that some dials have a thinner coating of paint, and once you put acetone on them, you strip them to bare metal - as the case is with newer MQJ dials.

I have another dial exactly like the one in the pictures above and i'd gladly swap it for a rep Sub dial ;)

Edited by Janek Sarnowski