When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Zeroing in on my perfect PAM

JEKS

OK,

I am new to reps and mechanical watches in general, having owned quartz and LCD screen watches until recently.

I find I've been researching all the 'big' brands, but I keep returning to Panerai. I now have three, two of which I am listing to sell, but it has given me an idea of what I am really looking for.

I've got a 212 that I'll keep. It is hard to beat that watch with it's big fat supple leather band and a pair of jeans for casual attire.

So, I've got that covered, but I'd like to own a nicer PAM with crown-guard, which gives them a bit of their unique look.

So, here is my wish list of items I would have in my perfect PAM;

1. Thick raised protruding crystal vs. flat or just slightly convex. I enoy the way the thick crystals refract light and distort the image underneath. I think they are mainly plexi, which is fine, by me, but I prefer sapphire if available. Pardon my ignorance.
  2. Brushed SS but case with polished ring around crystal and polished crown guard.
  3. Roller crown guard lever
  4. Quick change strap bars
  5. Sausage dial with good AR
  6. 'base' dial no seconds, date, chrono or power reserve; nothing but minute and hours hands
  7. Swiss movement
  8. Matching bracelet available for purchase
  9. extra quick change bars for various straps
  10. Solid caseback; codicil; if there is a very nice or interesting looking movement available for said watch, I would then like a good caseback with real crystal.
So, I guess, that's what I know of now. Does anyone have a standard Panerai model # to suggest or a unit to begin with to build what I'm looking for. If it is a fantasy model, so be it. I'll be the one wearing it!

Thanks - J

Marina Militare base 44mm 1950. Ticks all the boxes, plus a custom strap. Search Jackson Tse or Getat on the forums, should be less than 100 US, a Swiss conversion should be about that again, so 200-250 all in for the head. To be honest though, i wouldn't bother with the swiss movement. A well-services A6497 would definitely see you through.

A nice strap would be another $100. 350 and you'll have a really sweet custom piece :)