When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Wow what a bumpy start

Calebt

After much reading I decided I wanted to start my own watch project. I chose the 42 mm Planet Ocean with a clone ETA movement to save a few dollars, as my watch project; it seemed to be the easiest to get parts for and would accept the parts without too much modification. So now to purchase my watch, I’ve bought reps from BK and Narikaa which by the way were excellent to deal with. I decided on Perfect Clone’s, set up an account selected watch and made the purchase. I didn’t get quality control pictures like others I saw but I was not worried for I knew I had picked a good dealer thanks to the folks on these forums, to many to list thanks guy’s, well the watch came in less than two weeks. I could not wait to get home with it so I unwrapped it at the Post Office set the time, date, wound it up twenty five to thirty turns and it started beating slapped it on my wrist.

What a beauty black bezel with orange numerals. None of the rep defects bother me because I planned on putting in some gen parts anyways. About fifteen minutes later checked the time not really I just wanted to look at my new watch, but it had stopped running. It only ran for about ten minutes so I set time, date made sure it was wound and the rotor was spinning freely. Everything checked out but still the watch would only run for five to ten minutes at a time. So I contacted Josh he said he would replace it with no problem or I could have a local watch smith look at it, may be something simple to fix I agreed. Plus I didn’t want to go through shipping back read some bad stories on that subject.

I dropped the watch off at the local watch smith that’s another story. After three weeks I went to the shop and he said he could not find anything wrong with it he didn’t charge me anything and said it ran fine. Well five to ten minutes later the watch was not running. I still did not want to send it back to Josh witch he was very professional to deal with and would have still replaced the watch. So I contacted Katt’s Watch Repair over at RWI made arrangements to send it off to Katt. Katt received the watch and emailed me with pictures of the problems with the movement he replaced the train bridge bent fourth wheel, balance wheel and [censored] and a missing movement clamp all within two weeks with testing, shipping great job Katt the watch is running and keeping excellent time.

I forgot to mention that with all the time, date setting I stripped the rep tube treads but no worry, now the mods begin. You guessed it I’m starting with the gen crown and tube I think that is going to be the hardest for me because it is not a direct fit. Here is a picture of the gen crown and tube more to follow.

hpim0288.jpg

Thanks

Caleb

PS: Thanks to everyone on these forums who are willing to share their experiences and knowledge without this I would never have gotten into this hobby.

Edited by FxrAndy

I bet you a donut that your local guy didn't want to mess with it, but also did not want to argue with you so he let it sit on a shelf for 2 weeks and then gave it back to you with "no charge"

The Katt is tops. He is the definition of the friendly, reasonably priced watch smith. Photos, emails, prompt service .. boom. everything.

Congratulations to you for not losing heart, and throwing a fit because your rep was not perfect. You understand the hobby.