When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Movement Madness!

JoeyB

As we discussed in another thread, I am now having some problems with my year old ETA2893-2 movement.

It runs, but will stop at the same spot every so often. I've had it running for over 12 hours, and then for only one revolution. I see no rhyme or reason to it.

I have it running now, and stopping occasionally, with the movement out of the watch, hands and dial and GMT canon removed using only the second hand. I tried two other second hands with no change. I took a piece of cellophane tape and just laid it on the very tip of the second hand post, not inside the tube at all, and it runs, with no stopping at all.

This tells me there is something inside the tube holding it up. I'm no watchmaker, just a fiddler, so does anyone have any other ideas? Or, will I need to tear (terror!!) into the movement?

I have it running now, and stopping occasionally, with the movement out of the watch, hands and dial and GMT canon removed using only the second hand. I tried two other second hands with no change. I took a piece of cellophane tape and just laid it on the very tip of the second hand post, not inside the tube at all, and it runs, with no stopping at all.

Any chance you are pressing the second hand down too hard/far onto the pinion?

If the movement runs with tape on the pinion, but repeatedly stops (at the same point) when only the second hand is installed, I would check the second hand's tube to see if it is out-of-round or otherwise deformed. The tube may be oblong & coming into contact with the interior walls of the canon.

Yes, that was my thought as well, I tried two other second hands with the same result. Thank you for telling me my thinking is right. If there is something in the tube that the second hand wheel goes through, and that seems to be the case, it must be toward the top as I thought of it being seated too much as well. I installed the second hand just on it and it stopped. Being at the top should make it easy, but I can't see it now. I think that might be part of the movement body. It looks to me as though I'm going to have to remove the second hand wheel at minimum to get a better view. I really didn't want to do that. But then a new career could be the result! aaaarrrgggggggggh!!!!!

OK, I went in, removed the cannon pinion and inspected it. Looks round to me, but I think I might have seen a little something in it. Cleaned it thoroughly and oiled, and put it all back together. I fully seated the second hand, and it is running. If it's still running in the morning I'll put it all together and see where it is.

I would try a new hand 1st.

I have tried two different hands. So I went to the Jules Borel site to see price and availability on the second wheel. The schematic showed it, about $5, and the center tube. And the lube. So I thought to myself, 'LUBE!!!!' :scratch: Took a pin and Moebius 9010 and applied to the hand's post and in the top of the tube around the second wheel post. And...SUCCESS!!! :victory:

freddy, thank you so very much for all your help. It is most appreciated!