When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Honest feedback required

TeeJay

Are you actually working in a shop or doing it at home? :-/

If it's at a shop I would have thought they could of advised you on your skill level, I don't need to say what I think as it's all been said...

I have 2 tattoos, one Jackass Skull that is awesome, and a star on my wrist that was done by someone who was supposedly the best in my area, it's wonky and I've regretted it ever since...

Are you on Tattoodles.com for your peer reviews? He's a local tattoo artist that has made a name for himself amongst tattoo artists.

by the way when doing kanji characters, be VERY careful in replicating them. make sure you get a bonafide chinese dude to read over your proof first before doing the work.

I haven't come across that site before, but I will certainly check it out, so thanks for the heads up :) And absolutely. Luckily, my best friend's wife is native-born Japanese, so I have a source I can go to for translations :)

His characters are actually Japanese Hiragana and not Kanji. The good news, I was able to read them and translate correctly. :good:

There was no way I was getting that one wrong :lol: Interestingly, the spelling I have always come across, is komadori, not komatori, as you wrote :)

But I know what you mean. I wonder how many people are running around with the Kanji equivalent of "Kick Me" tattoo'd on them. :victory:

Doesn't bear thinking about :D Or even if someone's gone to a person in a foreign restaurant in the hopes of getting a translation, and getting given the 'kick me' :lol:

Are you actually working in a shop or doing it at home? :-/

If it's at a shop I would have thought they could of advised you on your skill level, I don't need to say what I think as it's all been said...

I have 2 tattoos, one Jackass Skull that is awesome, and a star on my wrist that was done by someone who was supposedly the best in my area, it's wonky and I've regretted it ever since...

None of the shops locally will take on apprentices, they just see them as future competition, so won't do anything to help anyone out, and of course, in the process, totally forgetting that someone once gave them a hand-up to learn... Fortunately, UK regulations allow people to register as 'mobile artists', who then go to the client's home. It's just a matter of creating a sterile working environment, and to be honest, probably easier than maintaining a sterile environment in a studio, which has people in and out all day :) Sorry to hear of your own tattoo experiences, I've also seen some pretty shocking work come out of studios over the years :wounded1: I think it's sad that, as an industry, there is a lot of snobbery towards artists who don't work out of a studio. Sure, having a studio is nice and all, but it doesn't guarantee that the guy in the chair actually has any artistic skill, just that he knows enough about BBPs and sterile practice to pass the necessary paperwork... Several of the well known artists today started out at home with home-made equipment, but their work now speaks for itself :) Mine says I need to learn more, but that's okay, as that's my plan :)

just don't get your art work ending up on this site.

http://hanzismatter.blogspot.com/

Awesome :thumbsupsmileyanim: :thumbsupsmileyanim: :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Komadori would be the more correct phonetic romanization, you are correct.

Ahh, I see :) I like how the word sounds similar to the rank 'Commodore' :) My own children's names, I would likely just do a straight translation, rather than finding the Japanese word, simply because I don't think Japanese has words for Luke and Lilith :D