When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Does the 42mm PO still have clasp problems?

MagicDrumSticks

Hi,

My 5th Gen 42mm PO clasp just broke, so I would say yes still issues. The small clip (ball) that snaps shut the clasp snapped right off. Been offered a new strap from a dealer for $65 dollars.

Going to buy a gen instead for my franken 42mmPO

Cheers

Hi,

My 5th Gen 42mm PO clasp just broke, so I would say yes still issues. The small clip (ball) that snaps shut the clasp snapped right off. Been offered a new strap from a dealer for $65 dollars.

Going to buy a gen instead for my franken 42mmPO

Cheers

S,

I believe I have a spare rep clasp in my parts box,

if you want it Ill send it your way......gratis offcourse.

Let me know

Mike

OK, I just went through this.

Bought a 42mm PO on bracelet from Joshua, with a week the mushroom pin and rivet that hold the pin in position within the clasp came apart. It's a 2 part pin. I was advised by members to JB Weld the pin and rivet into the clasp.

Joshua (no questions asked) graciously sent me a whole new bracelet, problem solved.

Now when I wear the PO I don't put any pressure on the bracelet, don't lift anything heavy.

Also, when closing the clasp I hold the clasp buttons open and shut them when the clasp is closed. This way you are not pushing the clasp shut against the mushroom pin.

Well those epoxies never work long term. I used jb weld on my snapped glasses bridge before and it broke a week later.

I would hate having to be extra careful considering that a lot of my friends will see the watch and be like "omg an omega!!" and snap close the clasp when thry try it on. Also it's a divers watch ain't it? You're supposed to be rough on it. Josh recommended I get the 500m Tag Heuer Aquaracer but it's too sporty and WAY too thick for my taste. This watch is what I really wanted, guess I'll have to go with a Timex auto now :(

? A swiss ETA 2824 is $130 ..

Is the watchsmith doing a full teardown service, regulation and install on the new movement? Then it would almost be the right price IF shipping was included.

Also, WHO990 has the clasps (sterile) for $25 on eBay.

Gen Clasp. Problem solved.

When I was in NYC last year, I almost sprung for a rep UPO for $90 US, but the clasp was the deal breaker.

The case, bezel, crystal, and bracelet were VERY impressive, but the mushroom clasp was quite weak, and did not come CLOSE to opening and closing like the buttery soft and smooth clasp on the gen PO.

Also, the divers extension did not snap tight either, it just kind of "pushed" back into place.

My question is, if I get a UPO, will the gen clasp fit properly on the rep bracelet? Are the tolerances the same on the gen and rep?

? A swiss ETA 2824 is $130 ..

Is the watchsmith doing a full teardown service, regulation and install on the new movement? Then it would almost be the right price IF shipping was included.

Also, WHO990 has the clasps (sterile) for $25 on eBay.

I'm sorry I meant to say 250 for the watch in Swiss 2824 movement, I should have worded that correctly. Are there no trusted dealers which service the watch to you before shipping it to your door? I'd rather not order a watch, send it again and pay a lot of money. Would it be ok to use it out of the box without servicing?

BTW Jkay, thanks for the eBay reference :) Are those clasps still the same type of high quality steel latch ones on the omega or the rolex "thin sheet of metal" type??

I have only ever purchased movements from wholesaleoutlet990 on eBay, so I can't comment about their clasp quality.

The problem with rep dealers servicing watches is the sheer volume of them that they sell every day. A dealer would have to employ an army of watchsmiths to offer this service. There used to be one dealer who did this but he wasnt able to deal with it and exploded even after hiring more help.

Even if you do buy a genuine swiss movement in your watch, chances are that it has been warehoused in non-sterile packaging for ... who knows how long. And then it was assembled in a dusty factory .. SO your genuine swiss ETA movement has dirt in it. It's just a fact of life.

What I tell people is this .. live with your watch for a couple of months. If you decide you love it, and want to keep it for years then by all means have it serviced by a trusted watchsmith .. there are prices well under $100 for a plain ETA service. Afterwards, service it every 5 years (oil evaporates) .. yes even GEN watches must be serviced every 5 years and THEY cost $600 for the same service you need.

I have only ever purchased movements from wholesaleoutlet990 on eBay, so I can't comment about their clasp quality.

The problem with rep dealers servicing watches is the sheer volume of them that they sell every day. A dealer would have to employ an army of watchsmiths to offer this service. There used to be one dealer who did this but he wasnt able to deal with it and exploded even after hiring more help.

Even if you do buy a genuine swiss movement in your watch, chances are that it has been warehoused in non-sterile packaging for ... who knows how long. And then it was assembled in a dusty factory .. SO your genuine swiss ETA movement has dirt in it. It's just a fact of life.

What I tell people is this .. live with your watch for a couple of months. If you decide you love it, and want to keep it for years then by all means have it serviced by a trusted watchsmith .. there are prices well under $100 for a plain ETA service. Afterwards, service it every 5 years (oil evaporates) .. yes even GEN watches must be serviced every 5 years and THEY cost $600 for the same service you need.

Anyone you can recommend? I go back and forth to India and USA so maybe if the watchsmith could ship internationally. Josh told me it would be 200 dollars for a eta service and 300 for A7750(Chrono) service.

Anyone you can recommend? I go back and forth to India and USA so maybe if the watchsmith could ship internationally. Josh told me it would be 200 dollars for a eta service and 300 for A7750(Chrono) service.

A top-quality disassembly, ultrasonic cleaning, inspection, oiling and re-assembly for a normal ETA movement is $100 at most (or you are paying too much). A7750 top-quality service is $190.

See "14060 or 16610?" and "Katt" at RWI forum for service. Katt does not do 7750 .. only asia, clone and ETA non-chrono movements.

They are both in CONUS.

Jkay,

Btw, your avatar just cracks me up man. I guess after a few thousand guys PMing you that the "sky is falling", you came up with that. Hilarious.

Also, what does CONUS stand for? I have seen that quite often, and assume it is a euro designation of some sort.