When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tweezers, Hand Removers, and Screwdrivers?

Texski

I will be making my first swap in the near future (7750), so I am looking at tools.

What do I need in the way of tweezers?

I have seen Dumont #1, #3a, #5 and #7 in a set.

Bergeon is out of my price range.

If I am working with chrono hands, what size do I need . . . thinking of the Presto-type.

And hand presses?

Screwdrivers. What size flats, and do I need phillips?

I am in the US.

Other suggestions appreciated.

For sure take a look at what Offshore as to offer.

Really it all depends on how much you are going to get into. For doing what you are talking about you need little. If you ever think you are going to get into working on movements, then you need to spend the money on good tools.

Screwdrivers - What Offshore has will work for what you need. The biggest issue with screwdriver sets out there for cheap is the blades are as soft as creamcheese. You should only needs flat blades.

Tweezers - #2 is all you need. Anything above this, is too fine and has special purpose like working on hair springs or very small parts. Most work is done with #1/#2.

Hand Remover - Presto removers work great for most 3-Hand watches. They can be very difficult to use with the samller chrono hands especially if the hand is pressed to close to the dial. You will need a set of hand levers or small screwdrivers.

What ever the tools you get, doing your first movement swap on a watch you enjoy and don't went to ruin, would not my recommendation. You really need to know what you are doing, and it is very easy to do a lot of damage.

Best of luck!

Guys,

Thanks for the responses. I am not real clear, could you be more specific . . . who should I ask about tools? :g:

From what I have read, isn't Offshore in Australia? I'm in the US, and my assumption is that I would be paying alot for shipping and it may take 30+ days.

I'll follow up with him.

It seems to me that there are a few tools that you should by the best you can afford . . . screwdrivers and tweezers. I have found a set of 6 Horotec screwdrivers, and have been looking at tweezers. I am leaning towards some Dumont, unless someone has a better suggestion. Thanks Bike, for the suggestion. It looks like there is SS and anti-magnetic. Does it matter, one better than the other?

I understand that I will need to open the second hand tube with broaches. How do you hold the tube? Bergeon has a tool for this, but my guess is that most people aren't using this.

And what power loupe(s) do you recommend?

It looks like some of the tools does not have to be 'Swiss Made', but where else do I need to step up. I don't want to pay more than I have to for an opener, but I don't want to buy something that has cheap jaws and scratches my back.

Thanks again,

Mike

Yes Offshore is in Australia, but even with the shipping costs, his tools are of much better quality and cost than what's available on the market (especially with what you can find on eBay).

He also has a broaching kit and a vise for it. You should seriously consider sending him a PM :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I saw the hand vice! Best price for Bergeon's is around $80.

He has some other things that caught my eye, too.

I wonder how long shipping takes?

I have beautiful parts that want a place to call home.

I'll PM him.

One more question.

I was sent a leather stroop with my hands. It is on a stick, and has grey leather, it is Bergeon. He said that it is used on the hands. Any idea what it is used for?

Thanks again,

Mike

Guys,

Thanks for the responses. I am not real clear, could you be more specific . . . who should I ask about tools? :g:

From what I have read, isn't Offshore in Australia? I'm in the US, and my assumption is that I would be paying alot for shipping and it may take 30+ days.

I'll follow up with him.

It seems to me that there are a few tools that you should by the best you can afford . . . screwdrivers and tweezers. I have found a set of 6 Horotec screwdrivers, and have been looking at tweezers. I am leaning towards some Dumont, unless someone has a better suggestion. Thanks Bike, for the suggestion. It looks like there is SS and anti-magnetic. Does it matter, one better than the other?

I understand that I will need to open the second hand tube with broaches. How do you hold the tube? Bergeon has a tool for this, but my guess is that most people aren't using this.

And what power loupe(s) do you recommend?

It looks like some of the tools does not have to be 'Swiss Made', but where else do I need to step up. I don't want to pay more than I have to for an opener, but I don't want to buy something that has cheap jaws and scratches my back.

Thanks again,

Mike

You can not go wrong with the Horotec screwdrivers. They are the best IMO and all I use.

For tweezers, Dumont are great, anti-magnetic are the ones you are going to want. They are a little softer then straight SS, but you never have to worry about screws sticking to them.

Only way to hold a hand well for broaching out the tube is with a hand vise.

Take a lot of care when opening up hand tubes. It is very very easy to open them up too much with a broach if you have never done this before.

:drinks:

I found a good explaination for the types of Dumont tweezers. It gives their hardness, temp rating, corrosion resistance, magnetic properties, and a brief description. It mentions things like, "more likely to break than bend".

http://store.wpiinc.com/Dumont_c_70.html

So what am I looking for in tweezers? Will a 'harder' set of tweezers be positive or negative. I saw some Dumont Titanium tweezers that are just a few dollars more than the anti-magnetic. It looks like they are very soft.

And then there are those carbon fiber tweezers. A step up from plastic? It seems like that might be nice for rotors, ect.

Thanks for humoring this inquisative mind. I don't want to stop in the middle of a project because my tweezers are limp as noodles or they are so hard that I just cut a stem in half. I am sure you guys could build a watch with a fork and toothpick. I have skills, but no experience with watches. I don't want to make that worse with bad tools.

And opening hands . . . I'll do a search, but can you help me narrow the field? "Broaching hands", "opening hands" ?

Thanks again,

Mike

I guess, you need to try and balance the cost of top quality tools, in this case tweezers, against the lesser items.

If you are paying $30+ for a pair of tweezers, you may find that 5 pairs of $6.00 tweezers do a better, more serviceable job.

You may not!

But perspective needs to be taken into the balance.

The hands broach holder you speak off can be purchased as a Swiss item at around $60 or from Indian suppliers at $14.00.

They both do the same job, and I know which one I use,.

Same for the hands fitters.

The Bergeon set is $80+.......... I know I bought one!

Now I sell the lower cost item at $15.80. Does EXACTLY the same job!

Finally.

Can I interest you in a pressure tester?

These were sold by Bergeon at $1000+ wholesale.

We have one which sells for 25% of this price, and I can assure you it is EXACTLY the same item. If you want the stickers...by all means pay $750 for them...I choose to order ours without those stickers, so as not to ruffle the establishments feathers...but I am 110% sure I sell exactly the same item!! In fact my biggest issue is working out a cost effective method of shipping them. Because the shipping cost is sometimes greater than the item cost!!!

Interestingly, it was the outrageous prices of tools, which got me into the business a few years back....and from what I have learned since, I can only say ...Don't believe everything you hear about tools.

IMO, the only area that the Chinese manufacturers are weak in is case hardening. So driver blades, tweezer tips et al need to be looked at, and possibly sourced elsewhere.

Or you can take a more pragmatic approach, and just keep replacing them.

I do believe we are now seeing improvements in these areas, and i will be interested to see the developments on my next trip, next month.

I am always available to discuss, and give my HONEST opinion. Just contact via PM or email.

Offshore

Alan,

Thanks for your response. I was looking to blow alot of money, so could I just get 4 of your pressure testers? ;)

I'm teasing. I registered on your website last night, and have started an email to you.

I'd like to send you a list of things I think I need, and you can help me pare it down, or steer me in a better direction.

Thanks again,

Mike

Ooooh, pressure testers. I would love to have on of them. What depth or pressure to they test to and how do they work? I am always wondering if my whatches are water resistant and to what depth. Sure would give me a lot more confidence in swimming with them.

These test to 6 ATM, however the recommendation for longevity is occasional use to that depth, but 3 ATM for base work.

My experience is that if a watch passes to 3 ATM, it will almost certainly go to 6 ATM. (And anyone needing more than that shouldn't be worrying too much about the watch on his wrist, as he will have much more sophisticated equipment doing the main job!)

Talk to me about various shipping options, depending on where you are based...the freight has a big bearing on the final price!.

Offshore