When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Daytona Question - Bezel Swap

danielv2000

Just received my SpinMaster built 6239. It's absolutely stunning. It's the exotic dial non-screw down version sitting next to the equally stunning 6263. Both were upgraded to gen crystal and crown.

My question is whether I should have gone with a black bezel given I now have 2 with the silver bezel. How easy is it for a novice like me to swap the bezel out?

I have no experience whatsoever other than winding a watch!

Your input is appreciated. Also, where can I source a black bezel?

Sorry for the crappy picture!

daytonaf.jpg

If you can find an accurate black aftermarket bezel with the correct spacing of the 1-1-0, then it might be worth it. But, to date, I have only seen 1 & it had other problems

yuki6241bezel0051.jpg

(Spacing of lower bezel is correct, but printing is flat & it has other problems)

On the other hand, there are some very accurate steel bezels around that get the spacing (& just about everything else) right. DW has some, but even he is hit-or-miss, depending on what he receives from the factory.

No, just takes time. Start by working your way around the bezel with a razor blade paint scraper. Once it fits in-between the bottom of the bezel & top of the case easily, switch over to a thin knife blade, repeating all around the bezel, lifting slightly as you go. If you are lucky, you might have the bezel off in a minute or 2. If not, I have spent upwards of 30 minutes slowly trying to loosen a stuck (or glued) bezel. You never know until you try. Just be careful not to chop off too many fingers. :whistling:

Your best source for a black bezel is DW, who has them listed at $40 each. But do note that you will most likely need to enlarge the bezel's inner diameter to fit what looks to be genuine crystals on your Spinmaster Daytonas. I've received five bezels from DW (covering the three types he sells) and they've all been too tight for a real crystal to fit. Sanding off 0.3mm will do the trick.

Your best source for a black bezel is DW, who has them listed at $40 each. But do note that you will most likely need to enlarge the bezel's inner diameter to fit what looks to be genuine crystals on your Spinmaster Daytonas. I've received five bezels from DW (covering the three types he sells) and they've all been too tight for a real crystal to fit. Sanding off 0.3mm will do the trick.

Thanks for the info.

Is three a tutorial somewhere that shows me how to swap them out? I would hate to damage the crystal.

Thanks

No, just takes time. Start by working your way around the bezel with a razor blade paint scraper. Once it fits in-between the bottom of the bezel & top of the case easily, switch over to a thin knife blade, repeating all around the bezel, lifting slightly as you go. If you are lucky, you might have the bezel off in a minute or 2. If not, I have spent upwards of 30 minutes slowly trying to loosen a stuck (or glued) bezel. You never know until you try. Just be careful not to chop off too many fingers. :whistling:

That's helpful info! I will try this. I wish I had a cheap watch to practice with!