When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My new-old Serie Speciale

sneed12

I bought a blue dial Serie Speciale from Josh last year. My hope had been that due to the unchanged subdial layout, the datewheel wouldn't be too sunken, but no luck. I sent it to Vac to have the datewheel changed to a Breitling font datewheel last summer and I'd been wearing it like this ever since.

navi1_new.jpg

navi2_new.jpg

You can see how sunken the datewheel is in the second pic.

Last week an interesting watch popped up in the FS section of RWG:

DSC_0006.jpg

It has a brushed case (which the gen SS does) and the datewheel looked less sunken. I took a chance on it and this is what I ended up with:

100_2848.JPG

100_2849.JPG

100_2847.JPG

100_2846.JPG

I'm really, really happy with how this turned out. The only real annoyance was that the tube pulled off of the main seconds hand and I had to spend a couple of hours gluing/reassembling it.

I found something interesting when I pulled apart the first watch:

100_2826.JPG

There is a plate between the dial and movement! This one has a very interesting complication on it; that's clearly a GMT complication intended to show inside the minute totalizer subdial. In fact I think it's this one:

montblanc-star-gmt-limited-edition-black-dial-chronograph.jpg

It has that little arrow thing painted on it too. So this must be a leftover plate from making a rep of this watch. A regular Navi would have a plate moving the minutes to 3 instead.

If you think about it, it makes sense--the factory would have to make different cases with different stem heights for the 6-9-12 and 3-6-9 cases. This is a cheaper, easier solution.

very sharp...i have an old school fighter, too...and am in the process of brushing it...makes a world of difference...

where did the "breitling date font" datewheel come from?...

There was a guy at RepGeek who had some printed last year.

It's not as good as the one in my SOHC but it's a lot better than the stock A7750 datewheel.

• 11 months later...