When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Can a keyless works screw up on it's own?

Hi, i have an (The Zigmeister serviced) Asian ETA clone in my UPO. Recently i thought the crown had come away from the stem as it was spinning freely with a slightly wobbly crown when turning the crown clockwise. I saw a new crown for sale i thought i'd take a quick look see before buying. After removing the crown and stem it came became apparent that the stem was still in the crown solidly making me think it's perhaps a keyless problem?

The symptoms are:

- movement still keeps time accurately

- can't adjust the time or date in their own positions

- can turn the hands backwards by winding the crown backwards in the time set position as per normal (i know this is not healthy - i was gentle - it was just a test).

- Turning the crown forwards in date or time set position is like it tries to grab or catch intermittently, moving the hands a little bit when it does.

i haven't removed the crown or even opened the watched prior to this.

thanks for any advice.

edit to add: it's a 2836-3 AETA

Given the first part of your post, sounds like the crown is stripping out internally. Spring loaded crown I assume…There is knurling or spines if you will, that engage when the spring inside the crown pushes the head outwards once you unscrew the crown from the tube. These spines can become stripped and when they do that crown head will not engage the piece that the stem is screwed into, cause the crown head to wobble and create issues like you describe.

Sounds like it could be either the winding pinion, sliding pinion or the setting wheela re worn or damaged. I have seen when these get worn some functions are no longer able to be set via the crown (ex: advancing the date). A few options: Another service and have any worn out parts replaced or replace movement with a new one. If you are feeling brave you could always stip things down to get a better look at whats going on in the keyless works.

Thanks Mike! Seems there's something wrong with the movement. i had a spare ploprof stem of the same movement (nice and long so was able to try it no problems). Same problem.

Thanks again for the advice :)

Well you took the easy causes out of the equation. So now you are down to the keyless works. Some thing let go in there.

• 1 month later...

Ok, i think it's setting wheel and post. Looks like the setting wheel post has popped out of the corrector lever (does that sound right?).

Does anyone know the proper way to put it back together? Do you put the setting wheel post into the corrector lever first, then place the setting wheel on?

Any advice much appreciated,

Oh, the keyless is out, but that's a cakewalk now :p

• 1 month later...