When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

2836-2 help

I seem to have an unwell ETA 2836-2. It was fine til recently, now it stops when its laid flat i.e. dial up.

From removing the movement from the watch it seems the escape wheel is no longer in contact with the pallet fork.

The balance wheel will move and also the pallet fork, but the escape just sits still ?

Any thoughts on whats done this, and any potential fixes ?

Thanks.

I seem to have an unwell ETA 2836-2. It was fine til recently, now it stops when its laid flat i.e. dial up.

From removing the movement from the watch it seems the escape wheel is no longer in contact with the pallet fork.

The balance wheel will move and also the pallet fork, but the escape just sits still ?

Any thoughts on whats done this, and any potential fixes ?

Thanks.

Most likely the problem lies with the gear train. Probably dirt or debree got in between the teeth making it impossible for the gears to turn. That's why the energy from the main spring isn't transferred to the pallet fork and thus balance. If that's the case there's no other option than taking it apart for a clean.

One last thing you can do is make sure no screw or something got loose and is stuck in the gear train. Take a look with a loup under the bridge where the escape wheel is located. No weird things in there?