When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What is it with men and their watches?

Wow - great read.

I especially liked the part about the emotional value of a watch. The watch in my avatar was given to me by my father 25 years ago. It is essentially worthless, but I wouldn't sell it for a million bucks. I mean it - that thing is priceless to me, just because my dad gave it to me.

Kind of old news, but still true, as I can attest to personally. The article is especially interesting for its comments on the passing (several years ago) of large, obvious watches in favor of smaller, classically understated models).

I still have my 1st watch (given to me when I was 6), which underwent its last overhaul a couple of years ago (there is a thread journaling the process around here somewhere)

2365071.jpg

2365047.jpg

My 1st digital from the 70s, which still gets worn every once in awhile

Armitron0042__-2_tonemapped21.jpg

(Yes, the 'Yesterday' button is missing)

Kind of old news, but still true, as I can attest to personally. The article is especially interesting for its comments on the passing (several years ago) of large, obvious watches in favor of smaller, classically understated models).

My 1st digital from the 70s, which still gets worn every once in awhile

I didn't catch the "passing of the large watch" bit in Dutchy's link,but is common in your threads and posts Freddy.

It would depend on your age,younger people do seem to prefer larger watches (for those into watches) and older people don't,if you owned a watch in the 70's then that states where you stand on that. :D

Brand names or not,larger watches today are far more the "norm" then when this article was written,in any store you walk into selling watches of any brand,even Rolex is kinda giving in with the DSSD and the larger FG watches.

Interesting old article indeed,but the "large watch" today is far more the norm for those into watches,for those that are not,strapping on a Casio is fine,size doesn't matter.

Interesting read.

Personally, even though I do not have a large wrist, I still prefer large watches with a simple design.

For me, for example, the most good looking watch, aesthetically, is the Armani AR0428, a 47mm quartz Chinese derivative.

AR0428.jpg

The Omega Seamaster AquaTerra is also nice, 49.2 mm, but still, designwise not as nice as the Armani, and I feel it is exceedingly large as well..

Edited by Marlon