When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tudor Sub - First Build Advice

kiplin

Hey everyone.

I'm new to the game and have a few reps and a homage under my belt, but I've always LOVED Rolex and Tudor subs, especially the new and the semi-vintage (i.e. those without a half-inch of acrylic on top).

I was thinking of buying the parts and assembling a 76100 (or similar) *myself*, I've never assembled a whole watch from parts before.

Thing is, I have no idea where to start. I don't know the first thing about which cases, dial and hands I'd need, or where to find them. If any Rolex cases are similar/cheaper/better/will-do. How to vintagize the parts and so on.

Can anyone out there shed some light and walk me through what (mid-priced) parts I'd need to buy?

Cheers!

Okay, so I've gone over a few posts about Snowflakes and it seems that a cheap 5512/3 from Josh might be the answer, though I can't find anywhere that mentions the dial diameter in it..

Now, where would I find a rep 76100 (or similar) dial? Preferably a low priced one, in case I want to practice my lume skills :)

A 5513 from Josh will probaly work fine. But the crown guards are a bit on the short side. You can get dial and hands from Yuki. Next step would be a gen crown from ebay and a tube from Yuki. Then a nice crystal from clark and a custom retainer ring from JMB.

A tip I was given, is to practice your lume skills, lume the lettering on magazine covers :) I wish I could help with the other stuff, but I don't know enough about parts to really advise what is best to pick up, but best of luck with the project :drinks:

The Yuki dial will fit josh's 5512/5513 case, as will a gen dial. The only real issue with Josh's case as mentioned, are the small cg's.

The Josh case has gen like bezel construction and will take a gen crystal.

Open the lugholes, add a gen crown/tube, crystal and insert... and you have a great base.

Personally the cost of a gen, Phong or Yuki case.. offsets that issue for me.

A tip I was given, is to practice your lume skills, lume the lettering on magazine covers :) I wish I could help with the other stuff, but I don't know enough about parts to really advise what is best to pick up, but best of luck with the project :drinks:

That's a great tip, cheers! I'm about to pull the trigger on the 5512, I guess I'll spend the time practicing my luming until it arrives :)

The Yuki dial will fit josh's 5512/5513 case, as will a gen dial. The only real issue with Josh's case as mentioned, are the small cg's.

The Josh case has gen like bezel construction and will take a gen crystal.

Open the lugholes, add a gen crown/tube, crystal and insert... and you have a great base.

Personally the cost of a gen, Phong or Yuki case.. offsets that issue for me.

Thanks for the advice Woof, I'll certainly look to making some better assemblies after I've honed my skills, but I'm really looking for the cheapest way to work on improving right now. I'd love to vintage up the dial, so I don't want to spend too much money on it since I'll be taking a pin to the lume and spritzing it with tea, etc.

With that said, I've been searching all morning to find cheaper dial and I can't find one anywhere. Guh.

Does anyone know where to find a cheap 7016 looking dial?

• 2 months later...

I don't know either... but it got me started..I bought another Josh 5513, a blue gen dial, gen insert, pearl from ubi(ty ubi!), eta 2836, gen T19 and I have the gen crown/tube.

Been waiting on the dial..care of blix in the Netherlands(ty blix!) ..and it came today!

Soon I will have my blue Tudor finally! :)

It's all going of to Jmb tomorrow... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

85d10fb6.jpg

I went ahead with the project, kinda-sorta. Replaced the dial with a vintage NDT rose jobbie, and tried bleaching the bezel but it's now a really, really light blue!

Recently I've been wearing it a lot and came round to the light blue bezel, and actually I love it and have kept it as-is.

I've still got a massive Tudor-boner though, so I'm thinking about a snowflake or the black counterpart to what woof's got going on. Once again stuck trying to find a decent dial...

Edit: Just seen wiesn089's posts. Damn looks like I was beaten to the punch :(

Edited by kiplin

You snooze, you loose. Glad to hear you went ahead with the project. I am seriously thinking about the rose dial I have and not mess up the build and just go for an early sub build instead of the 5514 hybrid thingy. How did the case from Josh work out?

Which one did you end up buying?

E