When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tudor Case Identification?

kiplin

I placed a stupidly low bid on this NOS dial before I bought a black rose Submariner dial for a 5512 build, really not expecting to win it. Turns out I did :D

Not sure which case this would fit though - does anyone have any ideas? DateJust maybe?

It's a 30mm dial with the date window at 3...

Screen%20shot%202011-06-14%20at%2008.36.12.png

I like the way you think TeeJay.

Are we talking DJ men's or oversize?

Also, are there any A21J DJ's available? Going ahead, I'd probably change the crystal (Clarkes?) and would definitely sand down the rehaut - neither of which I've done before, so cheaper would be better incase I really screw anything up - I can always upgrade the movement later on once I'm more comfortable with modding watches..

I like the way you think TeeJay.

Are we talking DJ men's or oversize?

Also, are there any A21J DJ's available? Going ahead, I'd probably change the crystal (Clarkes?) and would definitely sand down the rehaut - neither of which I've done before, so cheaper would be better incase I really screw anything up - I can always upgrade the movement later on once I'm more comfortable with modding watches..

I was thinking regular sized DJ, not the DJ II :) And yes, a21js are avaialable. If you want to have some fun experimenting with a budget rep, I think this one will fit your needs perfectly :) Doesn't matter about the dial, as you're going to be replacing it :victory: A lot of people use Clarkes crystals, but I've never done so, so I couldn't tell you what size or model number to look for :pardon:

Wow, they're much cheaper than I expected. I'm a massive Rolex newb - it was vintage Tudors that plunged me into these deep replica depths - so how's the quality? Does it compare with the cartel versions? It's not like I'd be going out of my way to convince people it's a genuine, but don't want to be called out from across the room either rolleyes.gif

Wow, they're much cheaper than I expected. I'm a massive Rolex newb - it was vintage Tudors that plunged me into these deep replica depths - so how's the quality? Does it compare with the cartel versions? It's not like I'd be going out of my way to convince people it's a genuine, but don't want to be called out from across the room either rolleyes.gif

I don't like paying the big bucks for my watches :whistling: Quality... Well, the one I bought from the vendor keeps good time and looks quite nice on my wrist. I've never been called out wearing it, but equally, no one's ever said "nice watch". I think having it on the strap really tones it down even more, and it becomes a pretty anonymous watch at distances of more than 2 meters. Sure, a Cartel DJ would probably be a bit better quality, but, you'll be paying 3 times the price :whistling:

DSCN3513.jpg

Having the Tudor dial fitted, is another reason you'll be less likely to get called out, as no-one recognizes that name, but everyone knows that Rolex = Fake :victory:

Having the Tudor dial fitted, is another reason you'll be less likely to get called out, as no-one recognizes that name, but everyone knows that Rolex = Fake :victory:

Ha, here here.

That's a good looking watch - I'm not sure if I like the fluted bezel and jubilee bracelet on most DJ's. I'm about to pull the trigger on this watch: http://www.cqout.com...asp?id=10993977

Could someone stop me if they notice anything off about it - cheers! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Edit: The end links and SEL's look horrible. I'll likely put it on a leather strap anyways.

Ha, here here.

That's a good looking watch - I'm not sure if I like the fluted bezel and jubilee bracelet on most DJ's. I'm about to pull the trigger on this watch: http://www.cqout.com...asp?id=10993977

Could someone stop me if they notice anything off about it - cheers! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Edit: The end links and SEL's look horrible. I'll likely put it on a leather strap anyways.

Thanks, I don't wear it very often, as I consider it my 'smart/formal wear' watch, but when I do, I really like wearing it :) The only reason I'm suggesting the fluted bezel and jubilee, is because of the dial having Roman numerals, but I think a smooth bezel would still work with what you have :) I'm sure that's the same as the one I bought, which I just took a better pic of :)

DSCN4074.jpg

[Edit to add]

I forgot to say, the case doesn't have any serial numbers between the lugs, and mine wasn't waterproof, despite having all the appropriate seals and gaskets. Having it on a strap (which was always my intention for this one) is a good way of reminding myself to take it off before getting it wet :D

kiplin - You may be screwed! :pardon: I just took some measurements and a 30mm Tudor dial is meant for a 38mm Jumbo case like the following:

New Bezel 1.JPG

The 36mm DJ case takes a dial about 28mm, the "standard" 34 Tudor case takes a dial a bit larger than 27mm, while the "mid-size" 31mm case takes a dial around 25.5mm.

That said, it is a nice looking dial and I wish you luck finding a Jumbo case. I have a couple more of the gen dials used in the watch pictured that need cases if you find a stash of 'em.

That could actually be a dealbreaker. Non-waterproofness kills me. My Getat took on condensation after washing my hands ONCE (Tat was kind enough to replace it and get it rated to a decent depth for me) but that was beyond frustrating.

Did you try waterproofing it?

@JWB - Bugger! Is there Rolex equivalent case I can look into buying?

I'll keep my eyes peeled but this sounds rather ominous.. Should've known the dial was cheap for a reason dry.gif

That could actually be a dealbreaker. Non-waterproofness kills me. My Getat took on condensation after washing my hands ONCE (Tat was kind enough to replace it and get it rated to a decent depth for me) but that was beyond frustrating.

Did you try waterproofing it?

I know what you mean, and normally, it would be a dealbreaker for me too, but I'd only ever intended to wear the watch on a leather strap at formal occasions :) I never planned on wearing it anywhere where it could conceivably get wet, which is why I never bothered to try and get it waterproofed :pardon: A Cartel dj is more likely to be waterproof, but as above, you will be paying 3 times as much for the privilege ;)

I don't know if a DJ II takes a bigger dial or not, I don't have one to check... It would be larger than the Jumbo but it has possibilities if the dial would fit.

I know what you mean about cheap, I thought I had stolen these dials (4 for $75) until I started trying to find a case...

A Cartel dj is more likely to be waterproof, but as above, you will be paying 3 times as much for the privilege

Gotcha. Shame, the dial's too big. If I could've waterproofed it that would have been a fantastic beater for under £100..

Gotcha. Shame, the dial's too big. If I could've waterproofed it that would have been a fantastic beater for under £100..

I have to admit, I wouldn't be surprised if a 30mm dial would fit (or could be made to fit by gently sanding the dial edges) as I'm pretty sure my DJ takes a 28mm dial with room to spare, but of course, it's your call on pulling the trigger :D I haven't got a lot of spare cash at the moment, but, if you were to buy the DJ from CQout and you can't get the dial to fit, when I can spare the cash, I'd be happy to take it off your hands at the original sale price, as I need a DJ movement for one of my own projects, but as before, totally up to you :)

That said, it is a nice looking dial and I wish you luck finding a Jumbo case. I have a couple more of the gen dials used in the watch pictured that need cases if you find a stash of 'em.

If anyone has a lead on a 38mm flat sided jumbo case like the one pictured, I'd be interested in hearing about it as well.

I don't know if a DJ II takes a bigger dial or not, I don't have one to check... It would be larger than the Jumbo but it has possibilities if the dial would fit.

I know what you mean about cheap, I thought I had stolen these dials (4 for $75) until I started trying to find a case...

Tell me about it! Spotted it on the bay at $6, thought it would be worth a punt at a silly price since it wasn't what I was looking for. The black rose dials were going for hundreds, so I never thought I'd win it.

I guess everyone else knew...brow.gif

Your dial's a beaut, and that watch is great!

@TeeJay

I might just take you up on that.

I don't have the dial in my hands yet, but if somebody would be able to do a quick check and measure the room available for the dial, the size of their dial, and from one side of the rehaut to the other, I'd have a pretty good picture of whether it would fit or not.

I just cracked the back of mine, and as you can see, there's quite a bit of play between the dial edge, and the interior wall of the case... While I had to use a ruler rather than calipers, I measured the inside of the case at 29mm. Personally speaking, I think this is workable/can be made to fit but that would be up to you :whistling:

DSCN4075.jpg

Would you mind pulling that crown out and taking a ruler to rehaut?

I have the feeling I'll essentially be a proxy buyer for your DateJust by the end of today.

The ruler's not ideal, but I measured the dial as being 28mm, the rehaut at about 27mm, and the inner walls of the case at about 29mm :)

Okay, cool. I'm going to give it a pop.

Boy, do those end links look like crap though!

Edit: Quick question to JMB before I hit buy, how much (for want of a better word) "overhang" is there on the dial - i.e. if I took a mm off, would I still be able to throw it in a jumbo case if I got the chance?

Okay, cool. I'm going to give it a pop.

Boy, do those end links look like crap though!

Edit: Quick question to JMB before I hit buy, how much (for want of a better word) "overhang" is there on the dial - i.e. if I took a mm off, would I still be able to throw it in a jumbo case if I got the chance?

Awesome :thumbsupsmileyanim: I think you'll be okay with the DJ case, but I'll have to defer to J about the size of the Jumbo case rehaut, afterall, I wouldn't want you to butcher a perfectly good dial, and have it wind up too small for the proper case :lol: As before though, if you can't make anything work with the DJ, I'll take it off your hands at original price, as soon as I have the spare cash :) And of course, if it does work out, well, you wind up with a nice watch :good::drinks: