When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What Does Oiling A Bracelet Do?

kasigi

You'll find lots of differing advice on the use of oil on bracelets...here's mine:

To free up tight or squeaking bracelets, liberally apply automobile polishing compound between the links. Then work each link back and forth by hand (time spent here is what will give the bracelet the smooth action that you desire). Thoroughly wash down the bracelet with soap and water, and allow to dry.

To lubricate, I recommend the use of pure Teflon lubricant. Excess lubricant dries to a slightly milky film, which can be wiped off with a dry cloth. The benefit of Teflon is that is has excellent lubricating characteristics, but it does not attract dirt and grime like oil.

I've used this technique on several bracelets, with impressive results. The most notable improvement was the FM Conquistador, which was tight and inflexible when new, and now has a silky smooth drape.

I polish mine first.

Then place the bracelet in a plastic baggy.

Spray well with silicone spray.

Let sit in baggy overnight.

Next morning wipe off the excess.

Do not wash off the lubricant.

Your good to go!

What's your favorite polish for brushed/matte bracelets? I like WD40 to lubricate... silicone is a pain if it gets on your arm/hands.

Yesterday I cleaned one half of my Sub bracelet with Autosol, washed it thoroughly with soap and hot water, dried it then put some Napier gun oil in a bag and worked it through each link before leaving it for about 15 minutes. Again washed it all off with soap and hot water.

It looks great but it wasn't stiff at all to start with so I don't really know that there's much difference to the feel. The words 'silky smooth' are used a lot but I'm not sure I buy in to that.

The second half of the bracelet does have a couple of slightly stuff links. I'll see if it feels any better after treatment.

What's your favorite polish for brushed/matte bracelets? I like WD40 to lubricate... silicone is a pain if it gets on your arm/hands.

Blue Magic metal polishing cream,

(#1 rated by consumers reports)

Green rogue to polish it extra bright and shiny.

Then to get the satin finish:

Satin finish buff wheels for dremel.

Jules Borel & Co. or Otto Frei

i use s-100 cream u buy at the harley davidson shop , first i lightly buff it with some jewelers rouge , then clean that off not thoroughly , then i use s-100 polishing creme it has a very minor abrasive as well , this is actually what gives u this silky feeling some r talking about , then i wipe that off and sometimes i do it again if the brushed strokes r really rough feeling , then i spray it down with wd-40 let it soak for however long u want , i usually let it sit there anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour just depends what im working on at the time , then i run me a sink full of warm soapy water (i use palmaolive good for the hands they say , lol) and i use a soft bristle toothbrush and carefully remove the gunk i just put in there , then i shake it and towel it to remove excess water and then finally i blow dry it and that is what gives me the silky feeling but yes oil only is basically used to loosen up the links , hope this helps or at least clarifies your questions

enjoy

joe

I just left my bracelet overnight in a 'bath' of 3 in 1. Then left it for another day to drain off on some paper towels, removing the excess surface oil every now and again.

No cleaning with soap and water, no oil drooling out of the bracelet just a much better, closer to genuine, feel about it. I think the time I left it to seep made all the difference.

1.- Clean with soap and hot wather

2.- Apply Tourtle wax and manually clean with cotton cloth

3.- Clean again with soap, hot water using a soft brush (I use a teeth one)

4.- Apply 3-1 oil and leave it inside a platic bag for at least 6 hrs.

5.- Wash again like in 3.-

6.- Polish gently with a dremel using a cotton polish wheel (slow speed) focusing on edges.

7.- Remove cotton dust by cleaning again

8.- Make it shine with a cotton cloth pressing up and down the bracelet for 10 min.