When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My 2nd PAM...a DW (yes David Wong!) 202a

chiman12

I currently have one PAM in my collection and it is a well modded 201a. I wanted to diversify my collection and decided that I would purchase another PAM. I did purchase a 288k, but decided it wasn't me and sold it off 2 days later. One day I ran into DW's sale thread of his 1:1 pre-v models and for sale...a 202a. Based on DW's pics, I decided to take a chance.

Taking into consideration that I'm no PAM expert, I am quite happy with it, but I'll let the PAM experts decide.

So on to the preview of the DW 202a

Nice dial, definitely not as nice as a FGD, but really nice. No lume abilities though. The hands look very good too, but they will eventually be replaced with FGD hands that are currently in my parts box. The PVD finish is overall very good, quite smooth and is a charcoal-blackish color

P1014456.jpg

The CG's are beefy and the crown looks perfect for this pre-v model (I think???). The lug holes look about the correct size and in the right postion. I'm definitely impressed!!!

P1014457.jpg

P1014459.jpg

Shot of the lug bars. Also PVD

P1014461.jpg

In between the lugs, there are elongated dimples at the bottom edge of the case...like the genuine and not as apparent as DSN 201a cases...

P1014463.jpg

And finally the case back. The engravings are deep, the "A" look pretty good as compared to a gen case back...but I forgot to get DW to engrave my serial number! I'm such a knuclehead :bangin:

P1014458.jpg

Overall, I'm quite pleased with DW's effort and with a little bit of modding, this could be one nice 202a

What are your thought guys?

I'm not an expert, but by looking at your 1st pic....it looks like you need a cannon pinion upgrade to H3.

I believe the lug bars should have screws on each end.....at least that's what I have on my 202a. I believe all

Pre-V's have this.......

My 2cents

Finally someone made a leap of faith ;)

Ok so let's get down with the getdown. PreV bases are not H3, they're H1, see service thread on p.com. We have one of three things going on here - the hands are either not set properly, minutes has a tube that's too long or dial is much thicker than should be.

Chiman, take her apart, let's see all her components :) I'm personally interested in more pics of the crystal refraction, case profile with lugs in focus, and another with CG and crown removed to show the tube and its position on the case. Also, the crown construction would be a nice bonus.

Constructively speaking about the build there's really not a single element that's been executed appropriately aside from the bezel and since this is already coated the only mods you can do to the case would be to fill the caseback text with black enamel.

- DW's general case geometry is either off or the pic is done at a bad angle, lugs seem a bit too low, no continuity with the main pillow curve (see my preV case thread)

- The handstack is not PreV as already mentioned

- Case has high shoulders and sharp edges characteristic of contemp. cases

- Dial is really not PreV, contemporary shaped numbers that were simply widened for the effect and 4liner print has no serifs

- Caseback is also contemporary design, preV has no countersunk radius and no SWISS MADE, the watch case was outsourced to a Florentian firm so the closest ever got to Switzerland was when they put an ETA movement in it

- OEM case has no strap notch at all

- The strap bar screws are blackened with rodiatura method, not PVD

- PVD coat does't really look the right shade and case finish underneath seems a bit way too bead-blasted

- CG really has too many flaws to list.

Now that's what you call a very constructive analysis of a Pre-V PAM...........thanks. You learn something everyday.

Question though, how can you tell an H1 and an H3 CP if one has to install it on a Pre-V Model? What would be the tell tale give?

W...seems that I'm always taking "Leaps" when it comes to DW pieces. This is why I have a 1st gen 7032 still sitting in my parts box! Maybe I shouldn't be an early adopter....

Great breakdown from you though.

I'll tear her apart and shoot more pics!

Now that's what you call a very constructive analysis of a Pre-V PAM...........thanks. You learn something everyday.

Question though, how can you tell an H1 and an H3 CP if one has to install it on a Pre-V Model? What would be the tell tale give?

The height is the only difference between H1 and H3. Otherwise, they're the same.