When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Eta 2836-2 Problem

jnkay

I received this watch late last week from Jos and love it, but it quit on me the other day after working fine for the first several days I had it. The hour and minute hands are frozen, while the second hand continues to work perfectly.

I would appreciate advice from anyone who knows whether there might be a simple fix for this, or whether I need to ask for a new watch. Thanks.

I received this watch late last week from Jos and love it, but it quit on me the other day after working fine for the first several days I had it. The hour and minute hands are frozen, while the second hand continues to work perfectly.

I would appreciate advice from anyone who knows whether there might be a simple fix for this, or whether I need to ask for a new watch. Thanks.

Typically one would contact Josh directly about a problem that surfaces shortly after receiving a watch. He will take care of you.

Do the hour and minute hands move if you pull the crown out to the 3rd position? Unlikely but maybe...

If NO, then there is a serious problem with the movement, most likely requiring disassembly...

If YES, then it probably still has a serious problem and needs someone to look at it...

So either way, hands not moving, while the seconds one does, is not a good or easy thing to fix.

RG

My last two ETA's that went south on me did so because one of the tabs which holds the movement in place broke and the little piece was lodging in the movement. On my GMT, it got under the rotor and basically jammed up the movement. It took the watchmaker 3-4 minutes to take off the rotor and fish out the piece, check it out and put in a new tab and close 'er up. No charge

Last week my WM 1680 was acting up, had been for a week or two intermittantly. Popped the case back and there was the broken tab again- this time it was on the side, but I'm sure it had been bouncing all over the place inside and stopping the movement from time to time. Fished it out, put a new tab in from a donor watch and the watch has been running fine since then.

I asked my watchmaker about broken tabs and he said it was pretty common. He said Rolex uses stainless steel tabs, less prone to breaking. And after EMS or whoever gets finished playing football with your package, it's amazing that your watch ran for even a day or two!

If you have the tool for taking the case back off, it's worth taking a looksey. It's a simple fix, if you can find the broken part and get it out of there.