When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is this Santos 100 Rep or a Gen

omoplata

Hi,

This watch belongs to a friend who asked me if I think if it is a gen or rep, but I am not a big Cartier guy really. As far as I can tell -if a rep- it is a good one.

The movement is fully functional and the sweep is pretty smooth -both the chrono seconds and the seconds at 9 o'clock seem to have a good sweep with high frequency, though I cannot tell how many bph.

The only thing that caught my eye is this: When the chrono is working, the minutes will jump not exactly when the seconds hand crosses top center, but around two seconds too early. Obviously a new gen Cartier would not do this, but this watch is several years old. Could it be a gen and still have developed such an issue?

Finally, can he take this watch to an authorized dealer for authentication? If it turns out to be rep, is there a risk they'd confiscate it?

post-1982-0-96962700-1310136222.jpg

post-1982-0-49131400-1310136245.jpg

post-1982-0-91565500-1310136265.jpg

post-1982-0-45541200-1310136281.jpg

Strangely enough this looks like a 7750 based rep, which is incorrect for the Santos chrono. Do you change the date with the button at 10 o'clock or via the crown?

If it's a 7750 rep I'm not sure it's very desirable.

The date is changed via the crown.

The buttons control the chrono, which works fully. The chrono hands reset perfectly at dead top when the reset button is pushed.

I am curious how much these go for.

Anyone have a link for a dealer that sells an identical -or as close as possible- rep as this one?