When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM 292K on coral

Pakz

Well, on a broken piece of coral, ;)

and her new(ish) shoes, a buffalo from BOB straps:

p292k1.jpg

p292k2.jpg

p292k3.jpg

p292k4.jpg

p292k5.jpg

p292k6.jpg

and the lume shot:

lume292.jpg

it's very bright, lasts fairly long... A C1+C3 mix that verges towards C3. Maybe not as white as we'd like in daylight, but very very efficient in the dark! Look at the second's hand to see how short that exposure was!!!

Edited by Pakz

Great combination - good value from Bob as well :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Like the shots and tha tobacco hue to the dial........

Thanks...

The "tobacco hue" on the dial actually isn't there... I think it's the slight golden hue of the (otherwise almost totally colourless) AR that gives that impression on some shots!

Gen lume looks the same in daylight, never as white as the hands...

Thanks for the info... I wasn't very sure about that... Some gen pics look very white, some quite similar to my rep... So now, it's clarified!

Nice watch!! Awesome pics!

May I know which dealer you purchase from?

Thanks!

I got it from Josh.

Thanks for the info... I wasn't very sure about that... Some gen pics look very white, some quite similar to my rep... So now, it's clarified!

Thanks!

I got it from Josh.

how much did you pay for the strap?

that's a great watch, i've been contemplating as possibly my first PAM rep. Would you recommend it? On a scale from 1 to 10 how does it compare with the Gen?

how much did you pay for the strap?

that's a great watch, i've been contemplating as possibly my first PAM rep. Would you recommend it? On a scale from 1 to 10 how does it compare with the Gen?

I paid $34.99 shipped for that strap, from their eBay shop.

As for the watch, it is very beautiful, extremely close to the gen... (look for differences/tells between my pics and the one posted by projectologist)... I'd say it's 9.5/10 in terms of being true to the gen.

However, the movement is supposed to be crappy... Mine works very well, so far, and keeps quite good time (gain 5/7 secs a day) but it feels not as rock solid as some other 6497 clones. It may well crap out rather soon, or be DOA... But a service on those is not very costly, and a good high beat SeaGull ST36 can be had for less than $40. Then it's just the matter of transplanting the movements... not something difficult for any watchsmith, or even amateur.

Is the case ceramic or steel case with pvd coating?

It's ceramic. Or it could be (but I don't think it is) ceramic coated steel, but not PVD.

That's very visible when looking at the back of the watch... The case back, crown and strap attaches are PVD steel, and the difference really stands out:

2922ta.jpg

Edited by Pakz

When you said the movement is crappy, what are you indicating?

Aren't all asian movement the same?

I've got a problem with one of my rep. When I wind it up, after like 20 to 30 rounds of winding, the crown recoil.

But another rep pam which is also asian movement, doesn't give me that issue.

I consulted the dealer and he said that both movement are from china but different factory.

What's your say?

Indeed, the Asian "Unitas replica" movements are quite diverse...

First, the matter of whether they are 6497 or 6497-2, i.e. if they are low beat (18k beats per hour) or "high" beat (21.6k). The one in the H factory reps is low beat... Not correct as per the gen, I believe, but since the seconds hand is so small you don't notice any difference, really.

Then comes the problem of the assembly. OK the components are the same, more or less, but if the pivots are oiled correctly, if there's no dirt whatsoever in the movement, it will run better than if it's dirty, with not enough or too much oil. That depends on the factory where they were assembled, and even on the individual worker who did it. And the movements used by H factory, again are not on the good quality side of things, are not coming from Sea-Gull, the most renowned Chinese movement manufacturer.

Still, it come to the luck of the draw. You can perfectly have years of good ticking from a "bad movements", if it just happens to have no dirt where it matters and oil in right quantity. But again, the probability of having a watch DOA is higher, the probability of having the movement craping out on you in the first few weeks is higher, etc.

Edited by Pakz

• 2 weeks later...