When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Thinking of buying a 253 Flyback but need some advice

Mills

I'm sure this will be my first post of many.

I have, unfortunately for my bank account, caught the replica bug. I purchased a 176M from Andrew (trustytime) a few weeks ago and, after getting rid of the crappy calf skin strap, I am so pleased with the results. Due to his awesome service on my last purchase I am now considering buying a 253 flyback from him. Couple of issues that is holding me back though which I'm hoping one of you fine people can help me with.

The 253 that Andrew lists has synthetic sapphire with AR coating. Is this an issue? Does it look good compared to the gen or would I have to replace it? If so what kind of cost would be involved in that?

On my 176 I put a "Strap Works" alligator strap on (looks the business) but with the Flyback I think I should use a deployant strap which SW don't sell so I'm thinking of getting a "The Watch Boys" strap instead. Any experience with these guys?

I can't post links as I've not posted 5 times yet but to see the watch I'm talking about, go to trustytime and search for PN007A.

Any advice or alternatives would be gratefully received.

I'm sure this will be my first post of many.

I have, unfortunately for my bank account, caught the replica bug. I purchased a 176M from Andrew (trustytime) a few weeks ago and, after getting rid of the crappy calf skin strap, I am so pleased with the results. Due to his awesome service on my last purchase I am now considering buying a 253 flyback from him. Couple of issues that is holding me back though which I'm hoping one of you fine people can help me with.

The 253 that Andrew lists has synthetic sapphire with AR coating. Is this an issue? Does it look good compared to the gen or would I have to replace it? If so what kind of cost would be involved in that?

On my 176 I put a "Strap Works" alligator strap on (looks the business) but with the Flyback I think I should use a deployant strap which SW don't sell so I'm thinking of getting a "The Watch Boys" strap instead. Any experience with these guys?

I can't post links as I've not posted 5 times yet but to see the watch I'm talking about, go to trustytime and search for PN007A.

Any advice or alternatives would be gratefully received.

the later ultimate version of the 253 is really nice.

however the crystal is mineral and has a tendency to break, mainly due to the curvature otherwise the clarity is excellent...

there used to be a post about 1:1 212/253 sapphire for sale a few months ago.

the later ultimate version of the 253 is really nice.

however the crystal is mineral and has a tendency to break, mainly due to the curvature otherwise the clarity is excellent...

there used to be a post about 1:1 212/253 sapphire for sale a few months ago.

When you say break. Are we talking about just having it on your wrist breaking - or bumping into things breaking?

could be from an innocent bump or just from structural stress...

even heard about crystals exploding in airplanes! lol

never had such issues with my 253 and 212

:-)

When you say break. Are we talking about just having it on your wrist breaking - or bumping into things breaking?

I dont think these will fit the rep but I could be wrong. One of the biggest issues with the 212 Is the lack of saphire crystal. I have had mine for over two years,scratched It once. I was able to remove the scratch with some plastc rubbing compound,got lucky. It's Indeed a beautiful rep but one must very careful when It comes to the crystal.:) Mike

Pulled the trigger on the 253 and have received the QC pics which look really good. Now have to wait the two long weeks for delivery. I won't post all the pics I received but what do you think to the one below?

post-10802-0-35312800-1310930335.jpg

Went with the Watch Boys strap, black alligator with black stitching.

post-10802-0-77604300-1310930462.jpg

Can't wait to get them paired up.

Edited by Mills