When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Do you get what you pay for?

I bought rep Tag a while ago and I've recently ordered, but not yet received, a Navitimer.

While looking through the website of one of the recommended dealers here I notice that there are zillions of variations of the same model watch and more interestingly some of these are more expensive than others while, in the pics, not looking particularly different to my untrained eye.

So, my question is: Is it likely that model X at $300 is going to be significantly better, (in quality and accuracy), than model Y at $120 even though in the pics they look very similar?

The short is answer is yes.

The longer answer depends on on what you mean by yes. If you mean accuracy to gen - then yes.

If you mean better build quality/material used/finishing the answer would be - sometimes if not most the time. Sometimes the cheapies utilise the same chassis, crystal and finishing like AR as the more expensive model - mostly they dont though and upon closer inspection are nothing at all like the $300 rep or the gen

If you mean reliablility of the timepiece - hmm, not unless it's serviced. It's arguable that the cheaper watches with quartz or 21j movements are more reliable even if the movement makes them less accurate. However, once a high end rep is serviced professionally, it can be on par or even better than a genuine watch many times it's value.

it's confusing at first. Its best to just jump in a buy one, or two, or fifteen. :p

In identical (externally) models, the price difference is normally created by the movement inside. Quartz is cheapest .. then Asian 21j models, and then Swiss copies and then genuine Swiss movements.

That is a large price range, generated by the movement.

Sometimes you'll notice on the listings that there are size difference, the material may be different, they use normal mineral crystal instead.

the way I look at it is that if you're going to go the cheap route, just buy a cheap gen watch. When your Tag watch is completely off what the gen should be and one day you run into someone wearing a gen, you'l feel pretty silly when they notice. I saw someone wearing a quartz rolex the other day. It's when they look over at yours and see the sweeping hand, they don't feel like playing millionaire any more..