When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Modifed Vintage Non-mbws?

rag9fx

hi all,

it seems to me taht the majority of modded vintage rolexes on this site are based off mbw/wm. i was just wondering anyone has/ or had modded non-mbw/wm to high standard? as seen on my last post i have a 1680 that i wouldn't mind working on ... but how modifiable is it... is it potentially modifiable to the degree of an mbw ?

cheers

g

Here's a 5513 with Explorer dial from Paul. It's not an MBW/WM, but it ain't bad. I shaped the crown guards, greased the o-rings and it's WR to 4ATM. It won't take a gen bezel insert w/o a lot of work- filing down to fit and I opted not to put in a gen crown and tube. But it is 1/3 the price of a MBW, has a plastic crystal, great dial- c. 1963 when Rolex started using tritium and was adding the T<25 on each side of the Swiss at the bottom of the dial. If you had an original of this watch in good condition, it would be worth $20K and up!

A few years ago, on another forum, a guy, Saabin, took a DRSD from Paul and ended up putting in a 1575 Rolex movement along w/ some other upgrades. You can buy the same DRSD for $150 or so from Paul still.

People like the MBW/WM's cause they take gen inserts and crystals w/o any mods and that's a whole lot easier than filing stuff down to fit!

I don't know which 1680 you have, but I have heard of someone putting a gen T127 crystal on a TWG red sub. If the crystal fits, the bezel insert just might also.

im not familiar with all the 'brand' terminology... so im not quite sure how an abay 1680 would have orignally been set up. i take it that the retaining ring wasn't an orignal feature. would the rehaut have to modified to accept that crystal? how would an older abay case compare to say a twg ?

thank you both for the pics and for all your replies ... i feel more motivated now pursue my project..

cheers

G

Edited by rag9fx

On the aBay (which merely identifies the origin of this particular Chinese made Sub), the retaining ring was something I had to add. The lip for the crystal accepted the crystal, though it was a little loose; once the retaining ring was pressed on, it held properly.

If you want to install a genuine crystal to any case other than a vintage MBW, you'll have to either source a retaining ring, or glue the crystal in place; subsequently, you may have to glue the bezel down as well, as on the CN Subs, the crystals are tension fit to the original rep crystal (which is of completely different dimensions when comparing to genuine).

Hope this helps...

R

Abay=aspire-eshop=wo-mart=Paul! Paul has progressed thru these three names over the last couple of years.

@ Ubi,

Paul's DRSD and 5513 actually have the outside retaining ring and the bezel snaps onto that. I tried an aftermarket crystal on the 5513 and it was just a tad bigger than the rep crystal, so I stayed w/ the rep crystal, since I was going for WR.

Well RS, I'm still working on Photography 101! But I can tell you on the 5513 that the ss ring is L shaped, upside down with the leg sticking out, good friction fit and the bezel ring catches that with the little wire clip in the bezel ring holding it in place. I would assume the DRSD is the same but it's been a long time since I've had it apart.

My five dollar CN digital calipers are telling me that the case is 38.5mm and bezel is 39.5, but a gen insert wouldn't fit (can't remember why, maybe the crystal was too thick). I do have a $20 pair of CN calipers at home for the serious work!