When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What Do The Little "stars" Mean In A Post Topic...

RWG Technical

While browsing through the Repair and Upgrade section, I noted a select few posts have these small "Stars" "*" next to them and was wondering what they mean.

Where do they come from, why are they only certain posts, and who puts the stars there?

Are they like a poll where each member can select a "rating" or something, and if so, where is this located on the posts. I can't seem to find anything that shows where I can select this option from my screen view. Am I supposed to enable something to see this option.

And why are they limited to only certain posts, is this something you turn on before you post a new topic, or does this option exist in every post, but for the most part we ignore it...

Thanks for the answers.

RG

While browsing through the Repair and Upgrade section, I noted a select few posts have these small "Stars" "*" next to them and was wondering what they mean.

Where do they come from, why are they only certain posts, and who puts the stars there?

Are they like a poll where each member can select a "rating" or something, and if so, where is this located on the posts. I can't seem to find anything that shows where I can select this option from my screen view. Am I supposed to enable something to see this option.

And why are they limited to only certain posts, is this something you turn on before you post a new topic, or does this option exist in every post, but for the most part we ignore it...

Thanks for the answers.

RG

When viewing a thread, see the "Rating" selection in the upper right. This thread should now have 5 stars. :)

Thanks for the answers.

RG

I would guess it shows the posts rating... rating drop down is at the top right just under "New Topic"...

I see it now, but on this post it now shows 5 stars (I looked at another post to compare and it was only showing the pull down menu).

If it shows 5 stars when looking at the post in this view, why does it not show any stars when I look at the index?

And if I select whatever stars, say 5 for example, does the topic get rated at 5 stars, or is it based on number of visits, divided by the number of stars each visitor selects...

Is there a reason we dont' use it very often, or just not a habit...

RG

I see it now, but on this post it now shows 5 stars (I looked at another post to compare and it was only showing the pull down menu).

If it shows 5 stars when looking at the post in this view, why does it not show any stars when I look at the index?

And if I select whatever stars, say 5 for example, does the topic get rated at 5 stars, or is it based on number of visits, divided by the number of stars each visitor selects...

Is there a reason we dont' use it very often, or just not a habit...

RG

I think it's total number of stars awarded divided by number of ratings submitted.