When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Best out of the box Rolex

kramerica2

It's funny because everyone starts out looking for the best out of the box rolex, bit then you learn that no matter what you choose you really need to have it modded to reduce the flaws. Some people sell watches that already have been modded which are usually good, otherwise soon as you buy something it's just a matter of time hanging around here that you'll notice every flaw and need them corrected.

I find it's hard with the rolexes because everyone knows about rolexes and fake rolexes, so everyone will assume it's fake if you dont fit the role.

Thanks for the answers...

I'm not pedantic and don't really need to have every flaw fixed. I'm also not a big fan of modding reps.

Further more, I can certaintly fit the role for any gen (and I'm not rich by any standart).

I know my way around Omegas, Breitlings and APs and can certainly spot most reps from those brands. But for each brand there are some models that their flaws are so small that without a gen by their side, it's almost impossible to notice them.

So, whar Rolex would you say fit that spot? Something that even if you knew your way around reps, would be very hard to tell, and in real life situations almost impossible...

@ninja: Could you mention the flaws of the GMT II?

It is true that many replica GMT Masters are very close to genuine in appearance. I have a 40mm sapphire GMT II that is very close except for the wrong hand stack and I doubt many people will notice this flaw. A late model GMT II with an accurate bracelet will usually pass under the 'replica radar' with no trouble. Dials used to be a quick tell but now that dials are so good, it usually takes a close examination to spot many replicas. I showed a watch trader friend who wears a genuine GMT II my replica GMT II and he never noticed the incorrect hand stack. After looking at it for 5 minutes, I had to point it out. He figured it was a replica only because I was wearinig it...anyone else could get by with it easily.

Read By-Tor's review secton as he has a good eye and points out the flaws.

Sapphire crystal Exp II is also a good candidate, one reason being that few people are familiar with them.

Sapphire crystal 36mm DJ will usually pass under the 'replica radar' as long as the dial is high quality. People do not give a DJ a second glance.

The main problem with a modern submariner is that most people figure it is a replica no matter what so the latest and greatest 'best submariner' gets no more respect than a low buck noob.

I had the GMTIIc rep Review.

It's a good and solid rep, but not great. Gen bezel is completely different (shiny and brownish), the engraving is bad and the crystal construction isn't equal.

WM9 Sub and Yacht-Master are in the league of their own. From the current ones available, I'd go for bklm1234's TW Sub. It's much better rep than GMTIIc.