When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

what leather strap for my skyland

urbanshogun

hey guys, I have an avenger skyland rep that i have stopped wearing as the pro 2 broke, and i'm sick of the ocean racer (it was for a 24mm and i cut it- the minor imperfect cut bugs me), and my pro 1 rep rubber is really stiff.

can anyone recommend a good non-oem leather band to put on it?

some pics of your skyland on leather would also be nice.

Not at all. I bought a pair for my BCE about several month ago. I expected the color to be more light brown, but it came in like little greenish brown. It's hard to discribe it. I ended up give it away to a friend of mine sells watches. He still has it now. It's definitely nothing like what they showed on their auction page. However, I do like their faux gator dark brown straps for my SA.

yes, a £400 strap for my £130 rep. :whistling:

i'd sooner spend that money on a gen 93150 for my franken 1665!

or 2 more nice reps or 3 very nice dirks for my 177. How do breitling get away with charging such extortionate prices? I guess no one wants a £4000 watch on strap that costs less that £50 per square inch of leather/gator/whatever <_<

Also, I don't want to be a douche, but I posted asking for non OEM leather strap options, and pretty much everyone says "OEM IS BEST!!!!1!"; it's a very typical attitude i've noticed on the forums; it's a difficult one to put into words, but i feel it is somewhat alienating to newer members (myself included).

That's just a little rant i had to get off my chest. I don't mean to bite the hand that feeds me; I value this community just as much (if not more) than the next guy.

i'll always have a special feel for the forums :wub:

In my opinion, for Skyland, since the watch case has a lot of straight edges, it would be nice to have leather strap made that has similar shape and softness as the OEM rubber straps. I use to own two Skyland (one v2 and one v3), the only strap worked for me is my custom built one (see picture below). I'm not trying to sell you anything, just my opinion. The OEM straps are ok, not spectacular on Skyland mainly because it's a sportier watch and the OEM straps are more for a dressy kind of watches (like the BCE) with more round angles (IMHO only).

photo-10.jpg

yes, a £400 strap for my £130 rep. :whistling:

i'd sooner spend that money on a gen 93150 for my franken 1665!

or 2 more nice reps or 3 very nice dirks for my 177. How do breitling get away with charging such extortionate prices? I guess no one wants a £4000 watch on strap that costs less that £50 per square inch of leather/gator/whatever <_<

Also, I don't want to be a douche, but I posted asking for non OEM leather strap options, and pretty much everyone says "OEM IS BEST!!!!1!"; it's a very typical attitude i've noticed on the forums; it's a difficult one to put into words, but i feel it is somewhat alienating to newer members (myself included).

That's just a little rant i had to get off my chest. I don't mean to bite the hand that feeds me; I value this community just as much (if not more) than the next guy.

i'll always have a special feel for the forums :wub:

Oh, I think you mistook my tongue-in-cheek posting as a serious one. I posted the video because I [censored] myself so much when I heard it the first time and thought I'd share it with the forum. Putting the douchiness of Lingman to one side (and MY GOD is he a douchebag...), you can't deny that his combination of custom polished croc strap, dyed stitching and Ocean Racer clasp doesn't look amazing...

The issue with Breitlings is that they are very pretty watches. The dials are gorgeous and the cases really do look bespoke, especially the Bentleys. OEM straps really seem to fit best, which is why you are getting the response to your question. The best aftermarket straps are those which copy the OEM style, like the HKTAN earlier.

PAMs are a little different, because their simple designs yearn for interesting straps. That's why strapmakers make so many PAM straps and relatively few Breitling straps. Also, the strap changing systems on PAMs are a joy, whereas Breitlings are a pain in the ass to change over.

As for prices, it's all relative, and your cost breakdown is quite apt. New Breit straps are seriously exorbitant, but they are also exceptionally well made and use the very finest materials. The croc patterns and grains are always chosen from the finest large-grained sections. You pay a log of money for that. If you see a piece of croc, the large grained section is a very small fraction of the total area.

Try Orloff for a strap. My daily wearer is a PAM 312 on a polished Orloff croc and I can't take it off. It would actually suit a full-ling (24mm lug) Breit :)

Is it me or does Lingman sound like he has half a jelly filled donut in his mouth when he is running it? :pardon:

Mate, don't tell anyone, but I have a sneaking suspicion that Lingman is actually a little closer to home... Big Breitling... Blinged out diamond bezel... Think about it... *taps nose*