When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PO purchase?

PPN

I'm struggling with the PO purchase now. Actually, I've purchased a couple of POs previously, which turned out to be bad reps. But then I found this forum, and I now know better. ;-)

But then I also noticed that Omega will soon be releasing a new version of the PO. As a matter of fact, it's already on their website. Ceramic bezel, squarer hour markers at 3/6/9, He moved to 10 position, etc.

Does anyone know any seller is planning on repping the new PO? If so, should I wait for that, or should I pull the trigger on the current PO? :wounded1:

I thought that watch had been out a year already. There are no high end reps of it. There may be a few bad reps.

I'm not sure if it's been out for a year. I know it was announced at the latest Basel, but local ADs and boutiques don't even have it yet.

Do you know if any high end manufacturers have plans to rep this model?

A high quality Liquid Metal rep should most definately be considered...but it's not likely to be able to be repped acurrately

I'd say go for the 5th generation 42mm PO or the 45mm UPO that's currently available.

Ofrei or cousins.uk have all the parts needed to go a VERY nice Franken for about 1k plus labor to whoever does the part swapping.

Edited by correctime

A high quality Liquid Metal rep should most definately be considered...but it's not likely to be able to be repped acurrately

I'd say go for the 5th generation 42mm PO or the 45mm UPO that's currently available.

Ofrei or cousins.uk have all the parts needed to go a VERY nice Franken for about 1k plus labor to whoever does the part swapping.

So there is no UPO for the 42mm version yet? What's missing before it's considered ultimate?

PPN, despite your misinformation, this watch did not come out at the latest Basel.. It came out at Basel 2010 and was already being produced in 2009. My local boutique here IN madrid, spain got these watches within a month of Omega releasing them. And YES, it is repped. Been repped for over a year. It's not a very good version though:

2.jpg

The most important aspect of this watch is the "liquid metal" that is seamlessly integrated into the ceramic bezel. Doubt that a rep factory could rep this effect accurately.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZcsWVqLC5I

PPN, despite your misinformation, this watch did not come out at the latest Basel.. It came out at Basel 2010 and was already being produced in 2009. My local boutique here IN madrid, spain got these watches within a month of Omega releasing them. And YES, it is repped. Been repped for over a year. It's not a very good version though:

2.jpg

The most important aspect of this watch is the "liquid metal" that is seamlessly integrated into the ceramic bezel. Doubt that a rep factory could rep this effect accurately.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZcsWVqLC5I

I'm no expert, but I believe the model you're referring to was a limited edition PO that was shown at Basel 2010 (starting with 222). The hour markers hadn't been updated yet to a more square shape and there was no display caseback.

The one I'm referring to is the all new mainstream PO (starting with a 232), shown at this year's Basel. New hour markers, and display caseback.

Hopefully we'll see a good rep of this soon. Having the He valve at the 10 position now should make the manufacturers happy.

Edited by PPN

I'm no expert, but I believe the model you're referring to was a limited edition PO that was shown at Basel 2010 (starting with 222). The hour markers hadn't been updated yet to a more square shape and there was no display caseback.

The one I'm referring to is the all new mainstream PO (starting with a 232), shown at this year's Basel. New hour markers, and display caseback.

Hopefully we'll see a good rep of this soon. Having the He valve at the 10 position now should make the manufacturers happy.

Interesting.. Just looking at Omega's website and you're right that there's a new version with He valve aligned at 10. Not sure if this is the mainstream version or not, as they still also have the classic stainless steel version with white dial writing and black bezel insert. The new version looks a lot like the Liquid metal version just in 45.5mm size.

Interesting.. Just looking at Omega's website and you're right that there's a new version with He valve aligned at 10. Not sure if this is the mainstream version or not, as they still also have the classic stainless steel version with white dial writing and black bezel insert. The new version looks a lot like the Liquid metal version just in 45.5mm size.

It's also available in 42mm. Don't forget the hour markers have been updated as well.

Well ... the factorys' imitation of the dssd bezel is far from perfect and the LM bezel would be even harder to get right, in my opinion.

Rolex vapor-deposits platinum over the entire dssd bezel insert and then polishes away all the platinum except for what was captured in the recessed numerals. The rep factories simulate this with some grey paint ...

The Omega liquid metal insert is different in that the entire numeral is filled with metal alloy, not just a thin vapor deposit, so the numeral is flush with the bezel insert's surface.

Well ... the factorys' imitation of the dssd bezel is far from perfect and the LM bezel would be even harder to get right, in my opinion.

Rolex vapor-deposits platinum over the entire dssd bezel insert and then polishes away all the platinum except for what was captured in the recessed numerals. The rep factories simulate this with some grey paint ...

The Omega liquid metal insert is different in that the entire numeral is filled with metal alloy, not just a thin vapor deposit, so the numeral is flush with the bezel insert's surface.

I agree that the DSSD bezel In not perfect but pretty dam good IMO. I feel that the factories could also do a desent bezel on the Omega, time well tell.

3 years ?

I'd say more like 6 or 7 years. the clown feet UPO came out in 2006, that wasn't even corrected until a few months ago.

Wow, that's quite a while. But that was also because the PO was a completely new model. For incremental changes, like on this new PO, hopefully it won't take that long.

Wow, that's quite a while. But that was also because the PO was a completely new model. For incremental changes, like on this new PO, hopefully it won't take that long.

Before the UPO i think there was a V2 model that had incorrect HE valve and case shape. So the UPO was NOT a new model.. just another step in a long line of changes. The only thing I'm trying to say is that sometimes it takes just that long for incremental changes (like the correction of "happy feet" logo)

Before the UPO i think there was a V2 model that had incorrect HE valve and case shape. So the UPO was NOT a new model.. just another step in a long line of changes. The only thing I'm trying to say is that sometimes it takes just that long for incremental changes (like the correction of "happy feet" logo)

I agree, buddy. But I think you misunderstood what I meant. What I was trying to say is that the gen PO was a new model when it first came out. So the rep factories needed to go through a lot of iterations to rep it correctly. With the new gen PO, there are only incremental changes. So my guess is that it won't take the factories another 3-6 years to get the new one repped correctly.