When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Who does 10ATM+ waterproofing?

kiplin

Hey, I'm going diving for the first time in a few months, and I was thinking about getting a Sinn watch to take underwater with me whilst I search for sunken pirate booty.

I know that most water-resistance testing machines only go up to 3 or 5ATM. I'd probably only be going down 30m max, but figured I'd need to get it tested for well above that rating.

In theory the U1000, for example, can be safely used at 1000m below sea level (and was apparently tested at that depth), and considering the reps are made with gen like construction, do I have it right in saying that with all the necessary tweaks they should survive 10 or even 25% of that?

If yes, who can waterproof a watch for that type of resistance, and can they test it to 10ATM?

Cheers!

Hey, I'm going diving for the first time in a few months, and I was thinking about getting a Sinn watch to take underwater with me whilst I search for sunken pirate booty.

I know that most water-resistance testing machines only go up to 3 or 5ATM. I'd probably only be going down 30m max, but figured I'd need to get it tested for well above that rating.

In theory the U1000, for example, can be safely used at 1000m below sea level (and was apparently tested at that depth), and considering the reps are made with gen like construction, do I have it right in saying that with all the necessary tweaks they should survive 10 or even 25% of that?

If yes, who can waterproof a watch for that type of resistance, and can they test it to 10ATM?

Cheers!

Not to rain on your parade, but before you get an Open Water dive qualification you would be lucky if you got down more than 10 meters. 18 meters is the absolute maximum distance allowed with a PADI certification. Even dive instructors don't go down much past 25-30m for safety reasons, because it takes AGES to slowly resurface, otherwise you'll get the bends ;)

For diving, do what divers do and get yourself a Seiko Monster. It won't matter, you'll have a dive computer anyway, watches during diving are just for fun for us watch-lovers :)

As TX said 5ATM, is plenty. The WR rating has less to do with depth and more to do with dynamic pressure on the watch as pressure testers measure static. In simple terms, put a watch down to a depth where it sees 3ATM (static) and move it around at a given constant and you will increase the dynamic pressure greater then 3ATM.

If you really have your heart set on testing to 10ATM, I have a machine that will do it...and more.

a 10atm machine is an expencive bit of kit, i can do to 6atm and for 30m i would want a watch tested AT LEAST to 10ATM

Cool, (slight thread derail) I'm thinking about swapping my asian ETA out in my PO for an ETA and getting some gen hands on there, sometime after the holiday. You did a great job first time round, think you could swap them out and waterproof the watch to 6atm?

Not to rain on your parade, but before you get an Open Water dive qualification you would be lucky if you got down more than 10 meters. 18 meters is the absolute maximum distance allowed with a PADI certification. Even dive instructors don't go down much past 25-30m for safety reasons, because it takes AGES to slowly resurface, otherwise you'll get the bends ;)

For diving, do what divers do and get yourself a Seiko Monster. It won't matter, you'll have a dive computer anyway, watches during diving are just for fun for us watch-lovers :)

Awwh bugger! I know one of the dive spots literally had a shipwreck at 28ish meters, was really looking forward to it. I'll be doing my PADI out there :)

The monster is a nice looking dive watch, but I have my heart set on a Sinn before I knew I was going to be diving. Two birds, and all that..

5ATM testing will be fine for recreational diving. Don't believe the hype. Having said that I waterproof my own watches and I'm fine diving with them at 50ft. Below that I use either my Omegas and Tags.

Thanks for the advice :)

As TX said 5ATM, is plenty. The WR rating has less to do with depth and more to do with dynamic pressure on the watch as pressure testers measure static. In simple terms, put a watch down to a depth where it sees 3ATM (static) and move it around at a given constant and you will increase the dynamic pressure greater then 3ATM.

If you really have your heart set on testing to 10ATM, I have a machine that will do it...and more.

Well, hello! I've been thinking about a pvd Sinn, just love the look of them. I have a feeling that they're going to be waterproofable to a decent depth, so I might hit you up just to be sure ;)

How much would your services cost?

Cool, (slight thread derail) I'm thinking about swapping my asian ETA out in my PO for an ETA and getting some gen hands on there, sometime after the holiday. You did a great job first time round, think you could swap them out and waterproof the watch to 6atm?

Sure I can do that