When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Another 5th gen PO 42mm franken project!

vasa4609

Hello guys,

What a fantastic forum full of great advice. Had my 5th gen 42mm PO with ETA 2824-2 mvt for a while now (got it originally from Lay via Replicamake88) and was always thinking of improving things on it but never thought I would get a chance to understand the process. Don't get me wrong, watch is great but somehow I was just never really that happy with the pearl, shiny glass, gaps near the bracelet ends and the possibility of crown failing to screw in. Recently I got a brand new original Omega clasp (1580.952) which greatly improved both the look and feel and it was then I realized how much better I felt when things looked and worked well on my watch.

After browsing posts here and seeing two great posts by OSRep and DB2 from earlier on, I figured that it would be actually relatively easy to mod this watch. Similarly to OSRep, I’m based in the UK, so CousinsUK are probably the best place to start with parts.

To start with my franken project I decided to get the following parts:

• Dial, model for 2201.50, black/orange (064WK3171011, CousinsUK: X24022)
  • Bazel, model for 2201.50, black/white (082SU1702, CousinsUK: X21197)
  • Bazel spring (085ST0053, CousinsUK: X12749)
  • Date Ring 3H White Figures On Black Background ( 2557.1 ) (ETA2802, CousinsUK: ETA280225571WB3)
  • Crown, 9x06.1, depth 4.5 (CousinsUK: 42184ST)
  • Crown tube (090ST1232, CousinsUK: X12870)
  • Hand seconds with red tip (066WZ4315, CousinsUK: X22266)
  • Hour & Minute hand (065WZ4314, CousinsUK: X23008)
  • Glass gasket (298ZW2981, CousinsUK: X24029)
  • Glass Sapphire (SB3065, CousinsUK: SB3065)
  • SB3065 (026ST952, CousinsUK: X24024)
  • Pusher, stainless steel (HE valve) (086ST0115, CousinsUK: 086ST0115)

I just checked and all parts are in stock, so will be ordering tonight. Can’t hide my excitement, I can’t wait to see this watch in it’s (almost) full glory!

Although my current PO is with black/white dial, I really liked OSRep’s project and his decision to go with the black/orange dial instead. The only thing left, apart from ordering parts, is getting in touch with someone who can do the fitting for me. OSRep recommended a guy called Uwe, not sure who Uwe is and how to get in touch with him though. I would be grateful if any of you could point me in the right direction so that I can get in touch with the guy.

In case someone knows someone else who can do the whole fitting for me, please do let me know.

Lastly, I would like to thank to everyone who contributed on this forum for posting heaps of valuable information about PO modding. I’ll keep you posted on the progress and will share some pics as soon as I grab a moment to take them.

Take care all.

Wow, sound like a awesome project. I had my gen orange PO for about 2 years. I think I paid something like $1400 for it used. But the modding process just amazes me.It seems like the costs of parts and having someone to mod it would be more expensive than a used gen. I guess the hunt for parts and the thrill of having the watch customize to the owners spec is part of the process.

Hey guys, thanks for your posts. Total cost for parts is £680 (VAT included). True, with a bit more patience I guess I could probably get lot of these for 30% cheaper on this forum, but I am just not that patient...

Final numbers will depend on the modding charges, so I'll wait for someone to pass me some contacts for ppl who are skilled with modding and check with them how much it will cost.

I'll keep you posted.

• 1 month later...

Hey Vasa! Congrats on a great project. As I keep saying a franken PO is a must have for every geek biggrin.gif I have sent you a PM btw wink.gif

Thanks to all who sent me PMs, it's much appreciated. Uwe is a very busy man these days, so my watch is with him and waiting for a fee timeslot. I can't wait to get it back, pair it with Omega orig bracelet and try it on. As soon as I can, I'll share some pics with everyone here.

• 3 months later...