When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Porsche Design P'6780 v2

unregistered

So here is the watch in its full glory from some quick snaps this morning. Was really excited about this piece as I loved the gen and found the concept really well executed. Unfortunately, it just has no love on the wrist. BTW, this is the v2

IMG_3293.jpg

IMG_3297.jpg

IMG_3299.jpg

IMG_3300.jpg

IMG_3302.jpg

IMG_3303.jpg

IMG_3304.jpg

IMG_3305.jpg

IMG_3306.jpg

IMG_3307.jpg

IMG_3308.jpg

IMG_3309.jpg

IMG_3311.jpg

IMG_3312.jpg

IMG_3313.jpg

IMG_3314.jpg

Wristies on my 6.8" wrists.

Pros:

- Fairly accurate to gen

- 3 piece cage well made with titanium for the cage, SS for the main housing and lug ends

- Dial has fantastic 3D depth and presence

- Bezel turns accurately as per gen

- Lift mechanism works well, stops at what ever angle you hold the watch head at, doesn't flop around

- Pushers have a nice "tccchk" pop when used

- Lovely looking deployant and correctly replicated

- Good weight, not too light, not too heavy and also not very top heavy

Cons

- Dial print needs to be brighter. Its too muted now

- No lume on the dial. Only on hands. Gen has lume all over the bezel, the dial markers and numbers

- Dial markers are meant to be metal squares with lume within them

- P' engraving on crown is inaccurate though well done. Should be PD

- Datewheel font is incorrect

- Caseback is incorrectly engraved with 120M when should be 100 ATM

- lug ends do not depress as far as gen. Gen has range of movement of about 35deg, rep only up to 15deg

- Strap, same as gen unfortunately, for thinner wristed folks, because of the overhang, the straps will open up, they arn't glued to the side of the lugs, but because the gen depresses further, its less obvious, on the rep, the straps will open up and show their connecters and sides.

- Strong blue AR, however I've seen gen pics which depict the same, so I can't call this one. I don't think the gen is as strong as the rep, but it definitely has a blue sheen.

Overall, the thing that kills it for me is the overhang and strap. Everything else is damn near perfect. :frusty:

It photographs so damn well too!

Great pics and great review. It is a beautiful watch. Does it have the same functionality as the gen?

Exact same functionality as the gen I've handled

Definitely an unusual watch and really different from the norm . Forgive my ignorance but what is the overhang of the strap. Either way its a pretty special and unique watch. Thanks for the review

Very much so. Overhang to me just refers to the overall length of the watch and how the lugs hang over the wrist. Some cases they dont cause they turn down sharply, like say an Omega PO. Or they don't have lugs but due to case + strap design cause there to be a gap as the strap tries to bend downwards (like an AP ROO or HBB).

if only the case back engraving was anything near correct... it is still completely wrong.

True that in that it isn't a superrep. But for someone to know this watch, they would know its a rep. 99% of the people out there would handle this without a thought in mind. And the gen isn't that far off besides the engraved wordings. The font and style and locations are accurate.

• 1 year later...