When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Might be an old topic but...

JEKS

I only had the problem because of flight delays due to the volcanic ash cloud last year.

My flight from Miami to Rome was late, so I had to run to make the connection to Nice, but my checked luggage didn't make it.

When it finally arrived customs had lots of time to go through it. The 205A was the only watch I didn't have in my carry-on (like the 8 other watches I brought) because it was a gift and in a wooden box.

I made several mistakes:

I declared it as a gift.

When asked to pay import taxes I declared the watch as "not real" - not aware of the French customs policy.

Until I said that the watch had been accepted as the genuine article.

If I would have said that it is my personal genuine watch I would have probably gotten away with it.

I have been to France again since with several watches and no problems. Carry-on only !!!

I only had the problem because of flight delays due to the volcanic ash cloud last year.

My flight from Miami to Rome was late, so I had to run to make the connection to Nice, but my checked luggage didn't make it.

When it finally arrived customs had lots of time to go through it. The 205A was the only watch I didn't have in my carry-on (like the 8 other watches I brought) because it was a gift and in a wooden box.

I made several mistakes:

I declared it as a gift.

When asked to pay import taxes I declared the watch as "not real" - not aware of the French customs policy.

If I would have said that it is my personal genuine watch I would have probably gotten away with it.

I have been to France again since with several watches and no problems. Carry-on only !!!

Thanks for the clairification,makes more sense now.:)

I made several mistakes:

I declared it as a gift.

Ahhh, I had visions of the customs officer taking it off your wrist at the scanner, which was pretty scary, thanks for the clarification :drinks: As you said before though, I'm sure her husband enjoys wearing it :whistling:

Nice little post. Love the collage Eric.

I couldn't agree more(sorry about the French customs issue, but it happens) The hobby is one of the key parts of any sub-culture. I have been in the Aircooled VW scene for years and have met great smart and super funny characters. This watch hobby, is definitely no different.

If any major brand wants to justify high prices and a constant fight on this particular hobby, is only due to their lack of ingenuity and creative design. I can honestly say that I look at new watches and I am not impressed with the designs. The technology in fact has not changed much. I look at a new submariner and compare that to say the 6538 you recently posted, and hands down I would jump to the 6538s side.

My guess is that the majority of us are romantic in a sense, as well as smart and creative and are lacking a market that appeals to us in a genuine way. Cheap is definitely not out the question either, but I like to call it being resourceful :D

E

Nice little post. Love the collage Eric.

I couldn't agree more(sorry about the French customs issue, but it happens) The hobby is one of the key parts of any sub-culture. I have been in the Aircooled VW scene for years and have met great smart and super funny characters. This watch hobby, is definitely no different.

If any major brand wants to justify high prices and a constant fight on this particular hobby, is only due to their lack of ingenuity and creative design. I can honestly say that I look at new watches and I am not impressed with the designs. The technology in fact has not changed much. I look at a new submariner and compare that to say the 6538 you recently posted, and hands down I would jump to the 6538s side.

My guess is that the majority of us are romantic in a sense, as well as smart and creative and are lacking a market that appeals to us in a genuine way. Cheap is definitely not out the question either, but I like to call it being resourceful :D

E

Spot on, bro :drinks: