When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Cheap SS vs 316 SS versions of the same watch

ninjagaiden

Hi Folks,

Bit of a noob question here. Been looking at Silix and Perfect-clones websites where quite often they offer a low and and high end version of the same watch. The low end is labelled stainless steel, whilst the high end is 316 stainless steel.

I've been looking at a Rolex Explorer II 16570, and from the pictures the watch cases look just the same to me for low and high end versions.

Anyone know if the high end 316SS looks & feels better in the flesh?

Thanks

N

Edited by ninjagaiden

You should provide links to the watches you are asking about so we can see where the problem is.

More than likely you are looking at the same watch with 2 different movements inside.

Sorry JKay I can't add links until I get 5 posts, but if you put the dot in between the www and the rest of the URL you will get there!

316L version, $205:

www silix-prime.com/rols065-p-1873.html

Stainless Steel version, $67:

www silix-prime.com/rol111-p-2029.html

The "stainless steel" is likely to be the same stuff as used in automobile catalytic converters.

There have been several posts here in the past from metallurgists who have done the test on the offered cases and provided that conclusion.

There have been some actual sightings of 316 here on the forum but I recommend caution unless you know for sure.

If you are buying a "fake" watch why would you be thinking that you would be getting actual 316 in the same watch? You need some real traceability, which can be hard to find.

Even the catalytic converter stuff looks good when done well. I have been known to wear it.

I have dealt with both of the dealers you mention over the past five or six years.

Josh at perfectclones would be my recommendation of the two based solely on my own anecdotal experience. I am making no recommendation as to 316 with that.

Carl

Do not sweat the steel .. that's mostly nonsense and half-truths. What you did not do is simply read the descriptions below each watch.

I can see two huge differences right away. Asia 21j movement or Swiss ETA movement ... and then mineral crystal or genuine sapphire crystal.

Guys thanks so much for the responses. I should have framed my question more specifically, in saying that I could tell the other differences between these two watches (mechanism, crystal etc), but I couldn't see a difference in the quality of the steel case itself. Maybe they'll add some Platinum and rhodium like they do to real catalytic converters :rolleyes:

I can understand not worrying about the steel grade, but will the higher grade watch have a *real* swiss ETA movement? I've been Googling to try and find out how much the mechanism itself costs but I can't find an estimate. I would appreciate your thoughts ...

In single quantities a swiss ETA movement is about $140 .. of course the factories buy in bulk so it's a lot less then that price.

And yes .. a trusted dealer will sell you a real swiss movement. Why would they rip off one customer and lose all of our business??