When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Bentley Problem

jkpadget2

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction,

I purchased a used EL Bentley from a member here and it arrived with the problem I am about to outline. The watch winds well and keeps perfect time, but when I unscrew the crown I cannot change the date and it feels like the crown is not catching when I change the time. In comparison, I purchased a bentley for a friend a months ago and when it arrived - all was fine - I was able to change the date and time flawlessly.

Back to my issue, when I pull the crown out to where the date setting should be - the crown spins and nothing happens with the watch. When I pull the crown out to change the time - It will allow me to change the time backwards (yes thats right - not forward) - but it feels like it catches then skips then catches - and this is demonstrated when looking at the hands (when it catches - the hands move, when it doesnt catch - the hands dont move). My question is this - has anyone experienced something similar to this and if so - is there a part that I can purchase so that my watch guy can install it for me?

I understand that a watchsmith should know what is wrong with my watch - but I am finding someone new and before I go pay money - I'd like to know if its a problem that is easily fixed - or if I am screwed and should just buy a new movement for the watch. Thanks for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh - that doesn't sound good - one of the keys is, don't force it, if your crown isn't popping out smooth or going in smooth forcing it can damage the little gears.

i also know there are certain "times" on the watch that can make it more difficult to adjust dates ect. - a friend of mine screwed up his gears on his pam 89 because he forced it - josh told me to set the time to 4pm then set the date as that was the time on the watch that was furthest away from the date and gmt hand gears.

i'm doubting this a simple watchmaker fix. may require some new parts