When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Trying to regulate my A21J automatic

odourboy

My 2008 Rolex Sub rep was a bit fast, so I thought I'd try an adjustment. It's got an Asian 2813 automatic movement.

I don't have any fancy equipment so I was syncing it against my 'atomic' clock (one of those La Crosse Technology quartz jobs that syncs up to the atomic clock radio broadcast). I was checking the drift of the seconds hand on my Sub about once an hour. What I've noticed is that while the second hand is loosing about 6 seconds per day (pretty damn good), the minute hand is also losing time - about 2 minutes per day - independent of the seconds hand. When I initially sync up the watch, I position the minute right on the dial marker and the second at 12:00. The minute seems to slowly drop behind so after a couple of hours, I can see that it no longer aligns with the dial marker as the second sweeps past 12:00. It gets progressively worse so that after 12 hours, the minute hand is lagging by about one minute from synced time. I've repeated this test three times just to confirm.

So, it appears that the seconds and the minutes do not stay in lock-step with each other. Is this possible? How can this be happening? (I'm no watch smith so I don;t understand how this can be). :blink:

Thanks!

I wish it were so, but alas, with the frequent checking and the drift in sync between the second and minute hand, I'm quite sure that's not the case. My initial thought was that the minute hand was loose and slipping on the shaft, but the rate it lags alignment with the minute marker versus the second hand passing the 12:00 position appears consistent. (Hope you're following that)