When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Fantastic gen Omega cal 1861 article - inc dissection

Tomsk

While checking out the history of the watch that got me here (the venerable Omega Speedmaster - still noobly hunting for my fave rep), I stumbled on the attached pdf which gives a brilliantly written history of the gen Speedmaster along with full explanation of the movement components and how they all work together to make it the watch that more or less saved the Apollo 13 mission. Serious props to the original author (though I've not linked to its proper location given the nature of this forum).

It's a long read, but I have learned so much about the workings of a this particular gen chrono movement while reading it I think it's been worth the time. So far, it's the best single description I've found of how a movement all fits together and works.

Anyone anything also worth studying? I can see my OCD veering rapidly towards trying to understand various movements (an interesting diversion for me when its all about bits and bytes normally). Oh dear...

Hope this hasn't been posted here before, it didn't turn up after a few quick related searches.

(Mods: let me know if it's a problem posting a pdf here and I'll just link to it)

The Right Stuff - Inside the Omega Speedmaster.pdf

Edited by Tomsk