When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help With Cyclops Removal

Hi guys,

I'm learning to mod my own submariners and have completed the CG's and have a new insert on the way. So far so good. Next up is the cyclops. Could someone help me with the removal? Specifically:

Do I heat it up, or try to pop it off with a razor blade?

I'm under the assumption I can reuse the same cyclops, correct? Do I need to do anything special to clean it?

I think I'm OK on the UV glue once I get to that point.

Thanks in advance!

Steve.

I have used a pinflame type torch for this. I use the flame at 90 deg to the crystal so that it is really just heating the cyclops. After a few seconds you will see the glue between the cyclops and crystal sort of pop! It's a bit like watching aerial film of a bomb blast - the shockwave radiating out from the centre!! It will be obvious and as soon as that happens use a thin blade to gently scrape the cyclops away form the crystal. I have done about 6 of these and only one of them was damaged (it cracked in half). You do not need much heat and the sapphire crsytal whilst hot was not too hot to touch.

Thanks. I'll try heat on a cheapo watch and see how I do.

Cheers,

Steve.

Carefull with that as a cheapo will likely have a mineral glass crystal which is more prone to exploding /breaking. Don't be worried about it - sapphire can take a lot of heat before it goes. When you apply the heat keep watching the cyclops closely- it will be very obvious when the adhesive pops.

• 2 months later...
Carefull with that as a cheapo will likely have a mineral glass crystal which is more prone to exploding /breaking. Don't be worried about it - sapphire can take a lot of heat before it goes. When you apply the heat keep watching the cyclops closely- it will be very obvious when the adhesive pops.

Wouldn't a sodering gun have the same outcome but with a little more control?