When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

California Dreaming...

TeeJay

It's no secret that I've never been a stickler for 100% accuracy in builds, but just thought I'd solicit people's thoughts on an issue. I've recently acquired a fixed lug Radiomir case (originally a repair job, which the owner has since very graciously gifted to me [many thanks again, J :drinks: ]) and I'm thinking of taking it down the California homage route, but this has got me considering hand options. I'd always thought Cali dials were traditionally accompanied by blued hands, and I then wondered how regular black Luminor-style hands might look, so I hit up google, but I have to admit, I'm not liking how the black hands look. However, I am considering a set of gold 1950-style hands instead... Do folks think this might be a step too far away from the traditional blue, or an acceptable look? TIA :drinks:

I personally like gold hands on a Cali dial:

ALL-group-A1large.jpg

I have a better pic but somehow photobucket and I won't cooperate today.....

Thanks for the pic, seeing those examples, I think the gold definitely lends itself to the vintage look, and from my time with a 127, I remember that the gold hands were easily visible, so I think I'll go with that combination (not decided yet on if I might age the watch, or just keep it clean) :drinks:

I prefer gold as well .. great watch.

post-22602-0-17706700-1315612546.jpg

It took me a while to warm up to them initially, but I really love the Cali aesthetic :) The blue hands do look nice, I wouldn't ever take that away from the Classic Look, I'm just feeling the gold hands a little more for my own take on it :)

[Edit to add]

That pic has convinced me to keep the build 'clean', rather than any artificial aging :drinks:

PS Dial and hands from Helena?

oh thats not my pic. its just so beautiful that i stare at it once in a while. perfect strap combo.

oh and dial ... rolexfinder just completed a 2 year project to produce the finest cali dial .. theres a thread here somewhere on it.

Ahh, cool :) I'm considering a new tan strap as well for my build, as I'm not over keen on the rivets through this one's stock 'pilot-style' strap. Of course, I can't complain about the quality, and as an unexpected gift, I'm more than grateful, I'm just thinking that if I'm going to make it over, I might as well go the whole nine yards and change everything so it's 100% custom as I want it :) I'll have to look for that thread in the morning, it's getting a bit early/late here at the mo, but thanks for the reference, I'll see what I can find :good::drinks:

I absolutely love the Cali dial! I just fear that a 47mm watch is just a tad bit too big for me.

The Rolex Datejust Cali dial could be cool :D

Click Me

That is very tasty, I wish I had the spare cash to bid on it :lol::good:

These are actually blue but in the pic they look black, so that gives you that frame of reference.

35171890.jpg

Ahh, that's interesting, maybe some of the photos I saw online were indeed of blued hands, which simply appeared black due to the lighting conditions of the photo :) Thanks for sharing :good::drinks:

Im also In the gold camp T. Whatever you decide,hope you have fun with It,thats what it's all about Imho. Keep us posted bro. :drinks:

I've decided I'm definitely:

- Keeping it clean, no artificial aging of dial or case.

- 100% homage with no branding marks anywhere on it (for wearing to countries who are less than rep-friendly :whistling: )

- Cali dial

- 127 gold hands (will leave me with a spare second sweep hand, but also means larger hands for better visibility :victory: )

- New strap. Possibly tan, but more likely matching leather to my planned wrist-strap project :good:

Once the PPI clears, I'll be able to get to work :drinks:

Ya..a tanish strap would set the cali off nicely me thinks.smile.gif

Yeah, tan straps definitely seem to have the best look for the cali (IMHO), however, I'm thinking about asking the strap maker who will be doing the wrist-strap for my iPod project, if they could sew on a new strap which would match the other project :) Haven't quite decided yet :D

Edited by TeeJay