When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Removing A Pam Crystal - No Hands And No Tools

Watchmeister

Well, I got some moisture in my 2893 GMT when I accidentally walked into a steam shower. At the suggestion of a friend I stuck it in a toaster oven preheated to 175 degrees with the CG and crown left open. When I returned an hour later, lo and behold:

136512-18089.jpg

No hands and no tools. :lol:

Same thing happened to me with a gen Breitling Navitimer sitting on the beach on a hot summer day. Popped right off. :)

I am under the impression that within the 150-175 degree range it should not impact the oils or the grease. :)

:lol: That's pretty funny... Sorry to hear about your watch :(

I would get it serviced right away, as I think there may be a problem with the water resistance now.

um - uh, - um- well--

i read the tite and was thinking of comments to make about no hands, until i opened the thread :)

i can't believe you bake your watches -

my boss, came to me yesterday - i sold him a corum admirals cup that i got from trusty - he said his crystal shattered.

i said shattered? he said yeah - i figured no way - but maybe he left it in the sun or something, we are in florida

i doubt he threw it in the oven

At the time I thought it was a good idea. Low level heat seeping in through the crown stem hole to dry out the crystal. And it appears the nylon is fine as the bezel is firmly in place. And yeah, I do think I will have to check for water resistance. :lol:

But seriously the Breitling AD did say that crystals popping out in the hot sun was a fairly common occurence.

"when I accidentally walked into a steam shower" ;)

I was thinking DAMN! That's pizza baking temperatures.. Then I remembered you people are stuck in the olden days, and that's really 80 degrees Celsius or something. It's still hot though. I would have thought 30-40 was enough over time.

This kinda reminds me of the time I was drying my sneakers in the oven, and they came out three times bigger.

Yes, with 20/20 hindsight perhaps I picked too high a temperature. :bangin: Everything is running fine though. I have declared it officially out of commission until I can get it back to Ziggy with the new 2893 datewheel and a pair of gen hands I have. Between the already present Palp crown, relume and Watchmen cyclops and the datewheel and hands I will then have a fairly fabulous rep. :)

Perhaps I should have titled this loop: What not to do when you have moisture under your crystal. :lol: