When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Monster Beats By Dr. Dre Arrived! Youtube Video

dylan

Mine arrived today and I just unboxed them. Results are interesting. Can't determine any active noise cancellation (though the cups do an excellent job of passive noise cancellation). Plugged them into my laptop and got some mains hum coming through the headphones and initially pretty dreadful sound. I then nudged the cable and the sound cleared up nicely. I would say they are on a par with my Bose headphones - slightly bright, tuned for a bassy response. Also the left right balance seemed a little off.

I swapped to the black cable and the glitching got much better on my laptop.

Then I plugged them into my Ipod and wow! Very impressive performance and the added punch of the active cans comes through. On an Ipod they sound better than my Bose cans. There is a little bit of a 'sound field' and compression effect with the powered headphones though.

So ironically for a rep of a monster cable product, I think my cans are limited by the quality of the cable (or connectors). However, for use with mobile devices that are optimised for cr*ppy little low impedance earbuds, then these might just be the ticket.

Just got mine yesterday too. Very nice for the 70 bucks it cost me. Bass is not as punchy as the real thing.. and they don't handle as much input (i tried the real ones last week). I really wish the bass was a bit more developed. The sound is overall VERY clear and very clean with a good amount of bass. I was hoping for more bass though :( I would venture to say the sound is as bright as my Westone UM1s (not as clear or defined as my westones (but those headphones are exceptional for being single drivers).

Fit and finish is exactly as the original as far as I can tell. I even registered my fake Serial with Monster with no problems. They look great and sound decent. My only complaint would be the lack of mind blowing bass that the originals have. (still good bass.. just not ridiculous like the original). I really wanted to feel like the club was in my headphones.. but these phones don't do it. I'm not a bass head at all, as My favorite phones are my UM2's which are very balanced, I purchased these Beats specifically so that I could feel like i had a subwoofer on my ears, (and their design is sweet looking).. haha. Overall great purchase for 70 bucks.. as the coolest part about these headphones is their design and look. Let's be honest, if these headphones didn't have the giant "B" on the side of the earcups, I wouldn't even be interested.. Good sound, great look, and good price for getting something so close to the real thing.

• 3 months later...