When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need Help Plz! With Franken Daytona Project !

Mr Z

hi all

im a new noobie .. looking to make my first franken super rep of daytona ss/g with champaign face ..i really dont know where to start

have been in ebay looking at gen face and bezel and crowns and pushers and after market real gold and steel bracelet and glass .. im not sure which movement if i can find one or use the 9@sec hand and what about the case ?? could some1 please point me out in the right direction ?? i will be doing my post of pic as soon as i start

thank you

@ubiquitous

16520 or 16523 or 116523 im not sure which 1 would be the most accurately rep .. but i want to make the 2 tone stainless steel and gold version all advice would very much appreciated

1. case?

2. movement?

3. strap?

4. hand and crown and pushers?

5 . dial ?

6. bezel ?

i think that cover everything

The 116523 uses the in-house Rolex movement. The 16523 uses a modified El Primero movement. I think you will have a heck of a time getting the in-house movement for the 116. If you can find it the last one I saw was $3k for the movement alone so by the time you have put it together you can easily be into it for $5k plus. And you can probably find a gen for another $2-3k. So I wouldn't go that route. The 16523 is probably more realistic. You will certainly be into that for less but that is going to be $3.5k plus with gen movement, dial, hands, etc. But listen to Ubi. He has built some beauties.

thanks watchmeister

yes i will opt for the 16523 route ...£3.5k i can live with ... and its going to be a present for family .... so clock is ticking .. plz leave ur feed back ... thank you very much

thanks for the advice all ,, but ive looked there is no way i can find a daytona ss and goold at tha price £3.5k more like £5.5k upwards if im lucky .. is there another route i could go .. maybe not so super franken just franken ???.. to cut the cost down ...and here is the cost so far

1.movement £900

2.dial £800

3.bezel £800

4. after market strap ss/g £400

damn thats with out anything else the cost .. outta control .. i think maybe its better to do just a franken .. but really would like some advice from the experts plzzz

would the best route

thank you for reading

Edited by zorrolondon

You forgot the hands and the aftermarket case and if you can't put it together...add another $400-$500 for a watchsmith to put it together...so all in...~3.9k pounds or about $6K US...if you buy a gen for about $7 to $7.5k US...the decision would be very apparent on what to do...I don't see it listed now, but Brenner & Sons just had one listed yesterday for a "Buy It Now" for $7.5K on fleabay...

zorro, i hate to say but these prices you're seeing on these parts are very high, except for the strap (which I assume is a TT bracelet). . . Mine clocked in at about $3.8K USD or so, all said and done - a significant savings vs $9.5k to $10k for a gen. I really think you should be patient, and look for a gen at the right price. You might have to purchase it from outside the UK.

• Like 1

thanks chief

sorry to ask ... but would u be able to give me a guild line on prices on parts i should be paying ? i dont mind at all ordering from overseas

1 movement ?

2 dial ?

3 bezel?

4 case ?

5 hands?

6 crystal ?

7 bracelet ?

or should i go for a cheaper option if any ?

thanks again for your advice