When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is The Quartz Version Of The Tag Link Chrono...

mezzanine

...aesthetically identical to the Asian 7750 movement version, minus the obvious difference in the movements of the watches?

The reason I ask is that I've been mulling over the idea of taking a flier on the new 7750 movement for weeks, but am no closer to feeling comfortable that the reliability of the movement is up to par. I want a watch that will give me a better than 50/50 chance that it will last for atleast a couple of years.

Therefore, I'm curious whether the quartz version of the Tag Link Chrono is of equal quality, in terms of the construction of the bracelet, dial, bezel, etc... as the more expensive automatic movement version. I would even sacrifice some of the more minute detailing- for example, in a visual comparison of the cheaper version vs. the more expensive version, there appears to be different markings on the cheaper version. I'm guessing these markings are less accurate (the cheaper version markings).

I've contacted one of the dealers in the hopes of getting a clear answer to this question, but the result has been somewhat unclear. The obvious differences seem to be in some of the markings and the use of synthetic sapphire. I'm doubtful that anyone here has actually seen one of these cheaper, quartz-based versions to even be able to say.

That being said, it seems as though there are identical-seeming versions of the same watch that differ only in terms of their movement, which thus accounts for the price difference. There are numerous examples of such watches on most of the dealers websites of all the major brands. For example, you can get a Pam with a swiss unitas or an asian unitas, and my understanding is that the difference in price is *purely* a function of the choice of movement, and other than that, the asian unitas is the same watch with a cheaper movement.

What I'm trying to determine is whether that price difference accounts for more than just the 'improved' and therefore more expensive choice of movement in the Tag Link Chrono?

p.s.- I'm including the obvious of disclaimer with regard to the blasphemous element of considering a quartz-based watch....I am aware, and if this bloody Asian 7750 movement could inspire faith in me that it would still be ticking a couple of years from now, I wouldn't be considering something so 'drastic'. Problem is that I really want this Tag.... :wounded1:

Edited by mezzanine

I was thinking about that watch too... and the Aquaracer 2000 Chronograph quartz rep. Obviously both of those reps are inaccurate and complete hybrids because they have wrong subdial arrangements... and even wrong subdial order for the quartz versions.

If you buy it I'd be interested to know if the bracelet is in the same quality as the automatic version. That's really impressive...and only for that it's almost worth the price.

PS: Personally, I wouldn't mind wearing it. Lots of TAGs are quartz and even our members have a problem telling between reps and genuines sometimes.

My advice is buy the 7750 version and buy from one of our dealers who has good customer relations (ie. all of them to a greater or lesser degree).

If the new Asia 7750 movements do develop problems they are usually relatively easy to repair, nothing like the disasters of old. The movements themselves are far superior quality to their predecessors and in reality are hardly less reliable than their Swiss equivalents (do a quick search for 7750 reliability on the 'net and you will see how many owners of genuine watches powered by ETA 7750s have experienced problems, and have paid AD prices to have them rectified....)

If you are really concerned then start looking for an honest and reliable watchmaker in your locale. If you are going to take this hobby seriously then you will need their services at one point or another!! :thumbsupsmileyanim: