When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What is the point of reps?

vikkyrob

I like watches....A lot!!.....Owning reps allows me the pleasure of playing....YES, playing with a lot more of them for a lot less money....And if I break one, I don't even give a $hite..!

I'll just go and buy another one....and still be able to feed my family this month....

I used to use vintage Gen's to satisfy my urge, but sadly, these days, nobody besides Chaz Bono would get caught dead wearing a 32mm watch!! :pimp: :pimp:

Edited by frankt

I've been into reps for about eight years now. I got into it because I love beautiful watches but hate the idea of paying more than a grand for one. The irony is that if I tallied up all the money I've spent on reps, I could have easily afforded something in the $6,000-7,000 range. Would I be happier? Absolutely not, because I would be kicking myself for spending that kind of bread on a watch. But spend that amount of money on 20 or so watches with essentially the same skin as their more expensive counterparts, and I'm not particularly bothered. I get to wear a different beautiful watch 2-4 times a week and have to be fairly diligent to make sure that every watch is worn at least once during the month.

Reliability has been pretty darned good. The only watches that have actually died during my rep adventure were $100 "what-the-hell" cheapies. A few others have had minor problems, but nothing that required major effort or investment to fix. A few that I am particularly fond of have been serviced by The Zigmeister. A few others, if they died, I'd be annoyed but could replace them easily for probably less or the same cost as a service.

To be honest, the last few years I've been kind of burned out on reps. I haven't bought a watch in more than a year, and I'm not sure what model would get me excited again, unless perhaps I sold a number of pieces from my collection. That's also why I haven't been around here very much and let my VIP status lapse.

In any case, I think reps satisfy a genuine need, because luxury goods are obscenely overpriced and the playing field needs a leveling agent.

• Like 1

I just love mechanical watches.

The watches I wear from day to day whilst being expensive in gen are not in the realms of being unattainable but simply a case of a guy who buys a watch instead of mags and tyres for his car etc..

The few watches I have that are worth a basic house stay in my watch box for my own viewing pleasure.

But then again no one ever notices my watches and I'm not in the habit of pushing them under peoples noses either.

Ken

Modding and taking apart my watches is a true pleasure. It has been a blast. ATM I have a project that I have wanted to do for years and know I dont have the skills yet. But I have help from the modders here to do everything I want.

I dont ever tell people my watches are "gen". Nope, I built them and then I go off from there. Usually people are so impressed they are just heads over heals impressed.

Of course being a med student going surgeon that is an expert with my hands because of my watchwork.... well that line works pretty well on the ladies ;)

The Point? Gee, I have seen so many billions and billions of posts, but this one is....mildly amusing. Personally, I could give a rip what anyone else thinks about my wristwatch. I find it irresistable that the Chinese make such great copies of watches that I would never pay the retail price for..As another astute member here commented, I also enjoy sitting in a cocktail lounge when a sultry, curvy, creature exclaims, "Oh my God, that watch is so gorgeous, you simply must mount me here on the bar right now, and shoot your man gravy all over my face!"

Now I ask you, Who can argue with that??