When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ordered first AP - QC Advice?

Surashu

Hi All,

New member here, just ordered my first rep, an AP ROO Safari.

I would like to post the QC pictures here when they arrive to get some feedback from you experts so I don't miss something before its sent.

I have checked the rules and couldn't see anything saying it was not allowed but thought I should check first.

Thanks

I am not normally a fan of QC pic posting but if you are either unsure due to lack of knowledge or concerned about the particular piece you should definitely post them up for comment. Amongst other things we are all hear to help each other. I would suggest you label the thread QC pics so that experts know to take a look.

Thanks for the responses, I have not had any QC pictures sent yet, just want to check on here before the pictures arrive so I could get a fast response back to the dealer.

I just don't want to miss anything in the QC pictures due to my inexperience with replicas.

Personally, i would not post QC pics here. Not only do dealers not like that, the whole point of QC pics are to help you make sure you get exactly what you ordered. (eg, cream dial instead of white dial)

It is not for the whole community to come together with a magnifying glass to nitpick on the watch. There will always be flaws, flaws which have been listed in detail in respective threads. Safari is one of those popular ones that get reviewed often too.

Personally, i would not post QC pics here. Not only do dealers not like that, the whole point of QC pics are to help you make sure you get exactly what you ordered. (eg, cream dial instead of white dial)

It is not for the whole community to come together with a magnifying glass to nitpick on the watch. There will always be flaws, flaws which have been listed in detail in respective threads. Safari is one of those popular ones that get reviewed often too.

I am with you that posting QC pics simply for the sake of posting them is a waste of everyone's time. But if you feel incompetent to judge because you do not know the brand or the specifics of a version or you are genuinely concerned with what you are seeing you should post away. First and foremost we are here to help and protect our members - not dealers. Let's face it the dealers are now big volume business and I am convinced that even with the best of intentions they don't always have the time to properly look at all the watches they are shipping out. It isn't like they are selling gens where only a few sell every month.

if i were you, i would not post the QC pics here if the dealer doesnt want you to. This affects future transactiona you might have with them. My best suggestion is get with someone knowledgable here privately and share the photos with each other and talk in private. One expert opinion is good enough.

I have not yet received QC pictures but I suspect I will be asked not to share them when I do get them.

Been researching all weekend on what to lookout for so I think I will be OK.

I will post my own pictures when I get the watch.

Looking forward to seeing your purchase. And to reiterate if you have any concerns once you see those pics either post or ask an expert to look at them. Dealers post QC pics for two reasons. First, because once one dealer did it everyone else has to as well or they are not competitive and won't sell as many watches. And second, dealers are trying to reduce the number of returns. Read the fine print about okaying QC pics. You own it. So if you are satisfied with what you see I agree with the adage of respecting your dealer's wishes and don't post pics. But if you are concerned get a second opinion - whether privately or publicly.

• 2 weeks later...
Nice.....and congrats! You need to take a picture in natural light specially for the Safari so that the cream dial would come out. I can't tell from your 3 pictures.....

Yeah its defiantly nice and creamy in real life, I just used my brothers 5D and don't know the settings to use to make it look good :bangin: .

Ill get a good picture when I have the AP Bands strap!

Also the watch seems to be running a little slow but in the QC picture it was +7sec/day. Lost about 5 seconds in the last hour, Any ideas? Should I manually wind it up from the crown at all?

Thanks

Don´t wind it manually....these movements are supposed to work with the rotor....only gently shake and wear it!

The QC pic from the timing machine does not mean anything at all....the watch has to be worn-in for a couple of days/weeks and the timing will set-down to your behaviour of watch-wearing.

BTW...it also depends how you put your watch at the night....crown down, crown up, laid flat, face down....has all an influence on the timing!

Have fun and enjoy it, cheers

Theo

Thanks! Just been checking it via this website http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=136 and holding it still its running spot on.

To think I almost bought a used gen for 15 times the price of rep+strap is crazy. I can see how people get addicted to this rep collecting :D

Got a 111M on the way now also!

Got my AP Bands strap, went with the Light Brown Hornback. Fitting it was a bit of a pain as the leather is thicker at the end compared to the rep strap so getting the lug screws in was difficult.

Needless to say the quality is on a another level and I am very happy! If only the Safari rep was a 1:1 to do the strap justice :notworthy:

Crappy pictures for now!

post-40370-0-51049800-1319222493.jpg

post-40370-0-89034900-1319222503.jpg

post-40370-0-91853300-1319222520.jpg

post-40370-0-61209500-1319222540.jpg

post-40370-0-76813100-1319222553.jpg

post-40370-0-93628600-1319222564.jpg

I may use some leather conditioner to darken it a tiny bit and go over the horns an extra time for a little definition, what do you think?

Edit: Didn't realise quite how bad those pictures would look, iPhone 4S is meant to have a better camera! Ill grab my brothers 5D again in the next few days and get a better picture!

Edited by Surashu

I have applied a tiny amount of olive oil with my finger to the horns and let it dry for 24 hours and I think it looks great. I also rounded off the tips of the chrono pushers.

I tried using my brothers 5D again but I got the settings all wrong! Here are the pictures anyway! I think I should stick to iPhone photography!

post-40370-0-17950700-1319470334.jpg

post-40370-0-28904300-1319470352.jpg

post-40370-0-79648200-1319470360.jpg

post-40370-0-15345000-1319470382.jpg

Edited by Surashu