When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watch winders

the_rymeister

hi guys I've got 2 automatic rep watches on order and one being omega smp chrono , after reading on the forum about the movement being quite delicate and possibilities of damaging it by self winding it when I want to war it I am going to buy a winder that I can put both in, the questions I have are: can you leave them permanently In the winder and is it better to run the winder in one direction or both directions.

Hopefully I'm clear enough and you know what I mean.

Any advise would be gratefully appreciated. Cheers in advance.

Ry

I have a winder and only use it for gen watches I wear to work. Otherwise I just rotate my watches on my wrist and make sure I wear them each at least twice a month, so that they run and oil evenly distributes through the movement. Its my opinion that putting the watches on the winder will continuously work them and therefore require servicing sooner - so I will not put on any of my vintage watches or reps. Especially with the chrono, you should get it serviced before wearing it or putting it on a winder for extended periods of time.

Also have a 2 watch winder from Brookstone (which is fantastic!) and I only have my two gens on it. As for clockwise/counter-clockwise/or bi-directional, it is really dependent on the movement it self. Orbita has some good info on which watch types need a certain number of turns per day and direction settings. I have a seiko that was custom made into a Doxa sea-rambler look alike and that one stopped when on the winder going in both directions. Turns out the seiko needs fewer turns per day and can only be wound on the winder in a clockwise direction.

I have been using an AceTimer for almost three years now. I have a total of 5 bays x 2 = 10 watches that can be on the winder(s) at any given time.

I have had NO issues with using it for REP or GEN.

HOWEVER, 7750 (rep or gen) and DG movements are ONE WAY winding, and the Acetimer is that bull$hit fuzzy logic half one way/half the other. It will NOT keep 775x/DG movements wound more than 10 days. (This is NOT a bad thing, since it is clearly not overwinding/slipping the mainspring).

A well respected watchmaker gave me this advice: 1.) Keeping them on the winder that 'winds too much' can put excessive wear on the mainsping/barrel as it might continuously be slipping the mainspring. 2.) You may get varied accuracy, even on COSC watches, as the winder may stop in random positions, or keep it wound in a redundant state.

That said, if you want to go budget, an Acetimer is not a bad idea. Keep you one-way winding movements on the 1000 TPD setting, BUT wear them at least once every 10 days for 8hrs or more. Keep your ETA's 28xx's @ 650TPD.

At the end of the day, the winder is not going to be any harder on your watch then you being a very active person.