When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pilgrimage to the home of watchmaking – Le Locle, Switzerland - The Zenith factory

Rclough

I recently had a landmark birthday (40), and to mark the occasion, an old friend booked us both on a day trip to Le Locle in Switzerland to visit the Zenith factory;

Why? He had sent a vintage Zenith chronograph in for a service (2 months ago) and they (Zenith) came back to him with a list of work required, and some options (mainly relating to the extent to which they were going to restore his timepiece (i.e. like new, or, retaining some of its original wear and tear?)); In the end my friend found that the language barrier coupled with the inevitable time lag that goes with email correspondence proved too much to deal with, and the only thing for it was a trip to the servicing centre to agree next steps, face-to-face with the watchmaker who was going to be doing the work.

So off we went - It was a long day; Flight at 7am (London Heathrow to Geneva), a two hour train journey to Le Locle (via Neuchatel), a short walk from the station to the factory, meeting the watchmaker, agreeing the work, and then the same journey in reverse … But, what a day.

At the Zenith factory I got a real sense of heritage; the quality; the old factory walls steeped in history; the staff who spent as long as was needed, took to discuss the requirement (for my friends watch); a unique experience, and one that I look forward to repeating next year when I accompany my mate again, this time to pick up the finished item. Here are the pics.post-40064-0-95252300-1318513473.jpgArrivingpost-40064-0-22568100-1318513480.jpgThe factorypost-40064-0-92176200-1318513483.jpgHeaven's gatepost-40064-0-52910000-1318513493.jpgVintage chrono in a Bento Boxpost-40064-0-40141500-1318513499.jpgThe CEO's Tourbillon post-40064-0-12381700-1318513507.jpgOur watchmakers El Primero

Sounds like a great experience mate...and Happy 40th :)

But you forgot to tell us....

What did your mate decide with the watchmaker for the work?

Look forward to the finished pics :)

Once again - thanks all for your feedback and comments; Re your questions:-

vlydog - The repair is likely to be completed in January 2012, so not a whole year to complete, just slightly in to next year. I get the general feeling that nothing comes before quality (at the Zenith Repair Centre) and things take as long as they take. They've already had my friends watch for 3 months, and all that has happened is it’s been disassembled! They go at their own pace.

Freddy333 – Did we visit any other sites while we were there; unfortunately we didn’t have the time; we did whizz past Patek Phillipe on the train (looked like a building from the future on the set of the Telly Tubbies (i.e. surrounded by lush green fields / Swiss countryside)). When we go back to Le Locle in the new year to collect the Zenith, we will spend more time there and maybe take in the COSC. Will let you know in a future blog.

PeteM – My friend decided to go with a ‘like new’ restoration after much deliberation. Why? Because, the watch is a 'lifer' … He intends wearing it until he is no longer able to at which point he will pass it to his son; the is means that this watch will have the opportunity to ‘age’ all over again, but this time, my mate will witness the process. He has asked for all replaced parts to be returned. Trust this makes sense.

Thanks again - Stay well