When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Twinlock Brevet crowns

Nanuq

About a year ago I got lucky and found this little beauty. Before I knew it, it was in my pocket and on my watch.

5.jpg

Since then the lovely little beastie has adorned my Sub with grace, until I had it in to the AD for another small issue. The watchmaker discovered the little spring loaded hex piece in the middle that slides against its spring was worn, and when I try to wind the watch it "jumps". It feels like the winding gears are jumping inside the movement, but he assured me it's faulty crown guts. The hex "points" are worn down and they jump inside the little hex tube they live in.

So I searched and found another 6mm Brevet crown. Lo and behold, it has good guts. The heavens rejoiced. :tu:

My question: how hard is it to replace this crown myself? I don't mind working on ETA movements and swapping crowns and stuff but I'm more than a little nervous to swap the crown on my old timer.

Is this a job for my AD watchmaker? He's a fine chap and keeps asking me to bring him watches he can actually work on, instead of museum pieces.

Your advice?

Ahhhh, now I remember that post. Nicely done, Freddy!

I know the guts of my "underline" twinlock crown are good... I could just transplant the "Brevet" cap onto those guts and call it a day.