When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pulled the trigger on my first rep

cdmsilverstone

finalized a purchased from Andrew for a Patek Philippe Aquanaut V2 1:1 w/swiss movement for $398. w/blackish dial. Any idea on how long the shipping takes? Has anyone purchased one of these before and can share a photo?

BTW - Very positive experience thus far with Andrew.. quick responses, professional, and a great system for purchasing. Will post pics once it comes!

Its headed to Georgia - sounds about right for a shipment from over there. Waiting sucks!

So am I right in my thinking that the less complicated the watch looks, the better the rep should be due to the ease of replicating it? I had my eye on a Hublot but it had so much going on that I was hesitant.. The Aquanaut seems like an easier build, but am I wrong in my line of thinking here? My first rep was a PVD coated GMT Master II. It was about half the price with an asian movement but it looked awesome. The movement zonked out after about a year but MAN did everyone want a piece of that watch. I work with watches and wore it to work a few times and they couldnt get enough of it.

Be nice to see those pictures when it arrives ;)

Just got an email today saying it was out of stock - it took me so long to decide on that piece too! back to the drawing board. will post what I decide to order today.

So can anyone verify that a rep looks better when its less complicated lookin e.g. an aquanaut vs a hublot tourbillion

Best looking rep - rep that you like. Aquanaut rep one of the best , BTW , and don't worry you'll find it, a lot of TD have them...

It looks SO nice! Funny too just as I was picking a different rep to repace the order a customer came in with a gen aquanaut so I got to check it out. Beautiful watch.

BUT itll have to wait because I got the Hublot Big Bang Rose Gold with Black Ceramic bezel. I chose the newest version. text as per order page:

"New Breed Hublot Big Bang Evolution... The Best Hublot Watch Ever Made.... Made with Genuine Fully Dissected.. 1 : 1 Replication... External Parts Completely Exchangeable with the Genuine

Platinum Plated Movement with Special Modified Circular Bridges, All Engraving as per the Genuine....

New Style Date Font....

Leather Cladded Front with Rubber Gummy Strap Base.... This is a Proto-type... Steel Centre Rotor Screws... Smooth Edge Steel Bezel

"

So yea.. quite the departure from the aquanaut but after trying the Hublot on its a really nice piece so the aquanaut will be ordered next month. pics to come soon!

• 2 weeks later...

Received the Hublot today, and while the build is good the dial is HORRIBLE! This is supposed to be the best Hublot rep out there? I mean, I am not expecting a perfect dial but wow it looks like it was cut our with an X-acto knife. I am really disappointed in the dial quality and while I do understand its a rep the cutting of the dial is really, really sub-par. Again, I was not expecting to see a indistinguishable-from-original rep, but if you can see the jagged cuts from a foot away with the naked eye, I think theres something wrong. pics to come

please chime in an give your thoughts

pic links below - took these this morning. still not allowing embedding pics properly. Just look at the cut on the subdials. I dont expect perfection, but I think its really crappy. Am I just being too much a perfectionist? Please tell me because I would like some feedback

NOTE: Once you click on the image link, click on the magnifying glass to make it larger

http://imageshack.us...33/img3930h.jpg

http://imageshack.us...03/img3931s.jpg

http://imageshack.us...5/img3932ap.jpg

http://imageshack.us...39/img3933g.jpg

i'm guessing that particular carbon fiber dial is probably tough to cut cleanly (it looks like it is raised from the subdials); have you raised the issue with andrew? i'm sure he will make it right.

good luck sorting it out; hopefully this bad first experience doesn't leave a sour taste in your mouth -- it is a fine world of replicas that you've found here.

deltatahoe

This might not be what you want to hear, but personally, I can't see anything unnacceptable about the manufacture of the dial... I think it looks fine :pardon: Bearing that in mind, I can't see Andrew being able to 'make things right', as I can't see anything to be made right :pardon: If you're happy with the quality of the watch itself, you might try asking if he can supply a replacement dial, and seeing if the manufacture of that is more acceptable to you, but I must admit, from a retail perspective, I view this as , not exactly buyer's remorse, but 'buyer disappointment', rather than the item itself actually being 'faulty' or unnacceptable, and as such, it is not really something a seller should be expected to correct :pardon: Of course, that is just my feelings and .2c on the matter, and I hope you can come to an agreement with Andrew to resolve things :good::drinks:

i'm guessing that particular carbon fiber dial is probably tough to cut cleanly (it looks like it is raised from the subdials); have you raised the issue with andrew? i'm sure he will make it right.

good luck sorting it out; hopefully this bad first experience doesn't leave a sour taste in your mouth -- it is a fine world of replicas that you've found here.

deltatahoe

This is the first of many reps and I would definitely buy from Andrew again. The dial does indeed have lower-lying subdials so they had to cut through and have another layer of black below the carbon to have that effect. This dial is probably used on other Hublots where the subdials do not have this effect, because the date window is almost flawless, and that cut looks much more difficult to make than the subdial circles.

Its such a shame, because when I say they are rough they are barely circles. I just don't get how they wouldn't use a tool to smooth them out, it would take like a minute to do.

The watch is near flawless, we compared it to a gen in the store and everything is pretty spot on (I will create a thread to compare the two tomorrow), except those subdials. The subdial cuts absolutely ruin the look though, the rest of the dial is great. The watch is well made. I will speak with Andrew but I wanted to know if anyone else has had this issue as well?

Its a hard thing to capture with the camera, and its not because its a minor detail. The subdial at 9 o'clock is really bad, its what I would consider a flaw on a rep. Again its just so peculiar because the date window is so perfect - it was machined and def. not cut by hand, so why are the subdials? The circles are most obviously cut by hand in a very crude manner.

I wouldn't have an issue but this is a 400 dollar rep and its beyond me why the date window would be so well made but the other cuts so crude.

maybe you can see better in this pic. 3 and 9 'oclock especially

http://i617.photobuc...mi/1540/jpg.jpg

so would anyone else here consider this a "flaw" in a rep of this caliber?

That photo does make it clearer, and I do see what you are refering too, but as above, it's not something which I personally would find an issue, but, it is your watch, so it's a matter of what you find acceptable and if it renders the watch unwearable (bearing in mind that after a few days on the wrist, you will be wearing the watch rather than scrutinizing it, so you may begin to focus less on the flaws, but appreciating the positive aspects) As before, it might be worth asking Andrew for a replacement dial, but again, the construction may be no better... Definitely worth asking though, the worst he can do is say no :good::drinks:

[Edit to add]

With regards the lack of 'final finishing' remember that these are replica goods, not overstocked originals, being made under less than ideal conditions. The time spent putting that final touch could be the same time taken to put another dial together...