When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

5517 Milsub patina?...

hackR

Hey guys....I'm working on my first mod of vintaging a milsub dial...I have researched the various milsub models and am looking to rep the model that is more "orange" than the one that is more "creme"...i have used the iodine and toaster oven method, along with some matte spray clear varnish...so far, not so bad...sorry i don't have pix today as i only completed this last night...

my question is: do the hands "age" differently than the dial in general over the years?...are the hands typiclally darker/deeper in color than the dial lume or vice-versa?...i noticed last night that on the one i'm modding, the hands are slightly darker against the dial lume...so just wondering what's the typical age look of this model...its tough to gauge this with online pix...

thanks...R

thanks, guys...i've read both of your various comments/advice on vintaging dials/hands...my hands came out slightly darker than the dial...after toasting, i sprayed with the clear matte varnish on the dial only without noticing the difference...i have to assume with the varnish i can no longer make them darker with iodine and i'm afraid to toast it some more - out of concern the dial printing will turn...any thoughts?...

(once again, sorry for the lack of pix - camera batteries dead)...i'll shoot some at some point)

my hands came out slightly darker than the dial...after toasting, i sprayed with the clear matte varnish on the dial only without noticing the difference...i have to assume with the varnish i can no longer make them darker with iodine and i'm afraid to toast it some more - out of concern the dial printing will turn...any thoughts?...

after speaking with bikmike, he suggested i try to lighten the hands...he recommended -- and it worked great -- that i use 70% rubbing alcohol to remove some of the iodine coloring...it worked great...will take some pix when i get a chance...

R-