When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Fitting a Eta 7750 in Portu

glennpenn

Fitting would involve transferring the 'seconds at six mods' from the rep to the ETA 7750. Am not sure that this would be a significant improvement over the rep movement. The 'seconds at six mods' are not engineered to the same standards as either the base ETA or Asian 7750.

Fitting would involve transferring the 'seconds at six mods' from the rep to the ETA 7750. Am not sure that this would be a significant improvement over the rep movement. The 'seconds at six mods' are not engineered to the same standards as either the base ETA or Asian 7750.

ok. Which high quiality movement would be optimal?

ok. Which high quiality movement would be optimal?

The best movement for this is the gen movement made by IWC. You can get one from concepta or maybe Texski.

I have never heard anybody fitted a Swiss with the additional gears for the dreaded "seconds at six" mod. I don't see what that'd be good for as it would still be an accident waiting to happen.

Val.

• Like 1

The best movement for this is the gen movement made by IWC. You can get one from concepta or maybe Texski.

I have never heard anybody fitted a Swiss with the additional gears for the dreaded "seconds at six" mod. I don't see what that'd be good for as it would still be an accident waiting to happen.

Val.

The gen movement does not fit in the rep case without modifications.

I already said that fitting a swiss movement with the 'seconds at six' mods does not seem to make much sense. However, some dealers offer this watch with a modded swiss movement.

• 2 weeks later...

Glenn,

The most 'natural' place for the constant seconds (hand moving all the time) is at the 9 o'clock position, because you can run it off of gears that are already there.

Someone wanted to get fancy and move the seconds to 6.

But to do so, they had to build a special gear train to do this.

Rolex did this for their Daytona's, IWC uses this on the Portu (and others).

IWC modified an ETA 7750 to do this.

They carved out a place in one of the plates and dropped in a 'Seconds Module.'

Extra gears usually requires more energy.

Even in the IWC cal 79350, if the the Seconds Module is not working correctly, it can stop the entire movement.

Below is the Seconds Module disassembled, prior to cleaning.

The Asian 7750 sec @ 6 movement does not have strict QC, hence the poor reputation.

Having this movement (A7750) serviced is a good way to improve the performance.

Even a factory fresh movement can have defective parts, and they can be replaced.

One of the best ways to address this is to modify the case to accept a 79350.

I am doing this now, and am very pleased with the results.

I'll try to post something later.

Take care,

Mike

PlateBridgeandGears.jpg